• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Featclassing

ro

First Post
I like feats. I think it is fun to be able to customize your character. Here is a proposed rule to allow players to take more feats. What do you think?

Featclassing
When you gain a level after 1st in any class, you may choose to forgo all the class features you would gain, or spell-slot advancement if you would gain no features that level, to instead select a feat.

Ganymede81

First Post
Meh, I'm not a fan of something that lets a PC swap out ribbons for Great Weapon Mastery. I could easily see Totem Warriors dumping their ribbons at levels 6 and 10 in favor of combat feats.

Instead, why not simply let PCs swap out class features for similarly powered class features of other classes?

ro

First Post
I suppose if a feature applies at multiple levels, you lose one level's worth of that feature.
For spells, you would still learn spells, but you would not gain spell slots, so you wouldn't learn higher-level spells as early.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I suppose if a feature applies at multiple levels, you lose one level's worth of that feature.
For spells, you would still learn spells, but you would not gain spell slots, so you wouldn't learn higher-level spells as early.

So terrible for casters and amazing for non-casters. I guess if that's what floats your boat. Doesn't float mine

Satyrn

First Post
I think it'd be simpler to just give all characters feats every 3 or 4 levels.

(And then perhaps not let them swap their class-granted ASIs for feats)

ro

First Post
So terrible for casters and amazing for non-casters. I guess if that's what floats your boat. Doesn't float mine

Which is not what I want. But because casters don't gain anything except slots at many levels, what else could they sacrifice for feats?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I just ran a thread about almost exactly this. The mechanical implementation was slightly different - a class you can multiclass into that gave an ASI every level. This way you not actually missing class features (or avoiding bad ones while still cherry-picking the best).

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...eriment-More-ASI-Feats-at-cost-of-class-level

The basic response was that it wasn't worth it giving up casting, but for weapon-only types it could become very overused, especially if there are no more "class defining" features between your current level and when you expected to end the campaign. Like picking up extra attack at 5th for a game expected only to go to 10th, picking up 5 free ASI/feats was better then the low-powered feautes you'd get at various levels.

Remove ads