• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Feats *and* aibility increases

Li Shenron

Legend
It won't break the game, but why do they want more than the books gives them? Do they demand their rights to get 6 or 7 cards when playing poker?

LesserCure

Explorer
It's an issue of tuning. Sure you can let them do that if you like, then be aware that your PCs will be somewhat more powerful than their standard counterparts, so you'll possibly need to adjust their challenges accordingly. It's okay IMHO if you want a more 'heroic' campaign, so to speak.

Eejit

First Post
What classes are they? Some builds will benefit far more from feats than others, so not having an opportunity cost might cause some intra-party unbalance.

I see issues with classes that gain feats and ability score increases more often than others, like the fighter and the rogue. What are you going to do with them?

Eejit

First Post
Ok. I'd suggest it's fine to allow it once, at level 4, but after that have them choose. The Paladin and Fighter will probably get much more benefit from feats than most of those others.

Tormyr

Hero
Character building in 5e is all about making choices. Half-orc or elf. Rogue or Paladin. Multiclass or single class. ASI or feat. If it were my table, I would be saying to the players that they need to make the choice as to which is more important to them.

In my opinion, the evidence that it should be a choice between feats or ASIs should be self evident. Aside from the rules stating that this is the case, taking the feat at level 1 as a human variant takes 4 of those +1 ASI away during character creation.

Remove ads