• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Feats Redux II

CapnZapp

Legend
As regards Greatweapon Mastery (this thread's version), I'm more inclined to retain the damage boost at +prof, and instead add a second benefit to the feat.

What are thematic abilities of greatweapons?

---

That work within the framework of D&D, that is. I mean, I know they're used to punch through armor, that is defeat damage reduction, but that's not a thing in 5E.

---

Shoves? (pronify, disarm, push back etc)

Yes, but Charger already does them.

---

A whirlwind type of attack? Would that be overpowered, assuming the "it doesn't make sense to limit martial abilities" crowd prevents us from saying "once per rest" or similar? The Ranger Hunter gains:

Whirlwind Attack. You can use your action to make melee attacks against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you, with a separate attack roll for each target.​

There's a reason the Hunter (and Revised Beastmaster Companion) gains this only at medium level. The fewer attacks you have normally, the more powerful the feat. (When you only have one attack, you only need to whirl two foes to come out ahead. At level 20, a Fighter needs five enemies to come out ahead)

If you want the +Prof to damage, you'd have to take Disadvantage on the whole Whirlwind (is what I'm saying, but haven't formulated in rulesy language yet)

---

Cleave?

Sure, but I definitely want Cleaves to be available to more kinds of builds, and I'm happy with Cleave as a stand-alone feat.

I could accept GWM getting cleave for free much like the original feat (in addition to a separate Cleave feat), if we can't find any other boon, though.

---

Pathfinder has infinite crunch ideas, maybe we can lift one of the ideas from there. For example:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/aliga-s-lab/feat-lists/two-handed-weapon-feats/

For instance, there's a Death or Glory feat: Gain +4 on attack, damage, and critical rolls vs. Large or larger opponents

Maybe a tad too much, but GWM could be a feat for Large and larger opponents?

Stealing from the Ranger might not be most original idea, but we already have:

Giant Killer. When a Large or larger creature within 5 feet of you hits or misses you with an attack, you can use your reaction to attack that creature immediately after its attack, provided that you can see the creature.​

Hm. That doesn't really jive. It more comes across as an aspect of your training (as a ranger vs Large creatures), than an aspect of your weapon.

Perhaps something as simple as:

* You gain a +1 on attack rolls against Large or larger creatures.
(in addition to the feat as written upthread)

The idea here is that GWM-weapons are slower, but larger creatures are also slower, so it's easier to hit them than smaller targets.

Of course, if I add this, it really makes sense to restrict the feat to heavy weapons (which I'm sure you noticed I did away with in my original rewrite: my feat replaced heavy weapons with "wielding in two hands". Since Savage Attacker allows versatile Longswords maybe it isn't such a bad idea to walk back this change and stick to heavy GWM?)

CapnZapp

Legend
It already eliminates Sneak Attack/Smite etc, but probably still includes effects attached to the weapon like Flame Tongue.

Maybe amend to "weapon's base damage dice"?
Good to know.

I'll probably make no change then and let the Flame Tongue wielders enjoy their savage attacks, it's not like that's a big problem (since I can just make any such weapons one-handed if I feel it's going to be a problem).

Damage on a near miss ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe something like one of the abilities from the "Fell-handed" feat:
When you make an attack with disadvantage and miss, if one of the rolls to hit would have beaten your opponent's AC, you deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In practical play, the feat already does "require" you to have advantage, which you then lose. Actual disadvantage is a no-no for minmaxers.

Just as a side note, this is just "usually true". With a minmaxed crossbow expert without SS I would often fire at long range which granted disadvantage. Because with bless and low AC foes it was worth going from say a 10% chance to miss (depending on how bless rolled) to a 19% chance to miss in order to be able to finish off foes. Tactics > DPR.

Blue

As regards Greatweapon Mastery (this thread's version), I'm more inclined to retain the damage boost at +prof, and instead add a second benefit to the feat.

What are thematic abilities of greatweapons?

Shoves? (pronify, disarm, push back etc)

Yes, but Charger already does them.

A whirlwind type of attack? Would that be overpowered, assuming the "it doesn't make sense to limit martial abilities" crowd prevents us from saying "once per rest" or similar?

Cleave?

Sure, but I definitely want Cleaves to be available to more kinds of builds, and I'm happy with Cleave as a stand-alone feat.

I could accept GWM getting cleave for free much like the original feat (in addition to a separate Cleave feat), if we can't find any other boon, though.

---

Pathfinder has infinite crunch ideas, maybe we can lift one of the ideas from there. For example:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/aliga-s-lab/feat-lists/two-handed-weapon-feats/

For instance, there's a Death or Glory feat: Gain +4 on attack, damage, and critical rolls vs. Large or larger opponents

Maybe a tad too much, but GWM could be a feat for Large and larger opponents?

Reading this, especially the party about "wouldn't mind cleave as well, but still want cleave for other weapon types" gave me an insight.

Why not consolidate like what you did with Crossbow Expert. It gives out a bunch of bonuses that aren't overpowered because many of them are mutually exclusive.

How about a feat that:
Grants cleave
Grants bonus XX for two handed
Grants bonus YY for finesse
Grants bonus ZZ for 1H STR attacks

Maybe with a companion feat that grants an always on bonus (like cleave in that example) that then grants proning chance to hammers, damage bonus to blades, etc. Or whatever.

So everyone can have up to two feats that affect their melee weapons, but you aren't locked in. If you find a nifty magical mornignstar you can use and and not lose out on having spent a feat. If you want to carry different weapons for different purposes, you can and not be penalized.

Blue

Maybe something like one of the abilities from the "Fell-handed" feat:
When you make an attack with disadvantage and miss, if one of the rolls to hit would have beaten your opponent's AC, you deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

I'm not so fond of that mechanic or the mirroring "if both hit with advantage". It takes as long as two attacks.

Xeviat

Hero
I'm not so fond of that mechanic or the mirroring "if both hit with advantage". It takes as long as two attacks.

It takes as long as Advantage, except you'd say "I rolled 18 and 21" and he DM says "both hit, you get X" or "21 hits" or "neither hit; you're doomed".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue

It takes as long as Advantage, except you'd say "I rolled 18 and 21" and he DM says "both hit, you get X" or "21 hits" or "neither hit; you're doomed".

Cool, you have dice that go up to 21 and you don't add any modifiers. Either that, or you're not realizing you're agreeing with me.

Determining "18 and 21" are the parts that take time. Especially if you have that player who works it out. for. every. single. attack.

Attacker: Umm, a 12 plus my dex is 16 and +1 for my bow makes it 17. I didn't use any magic arrows or sharpshooter this round, so 17.
Cleric: Did you remember bless?
Attacker: Oh yeah, bless. Let me roll that. It's a 1. What did I have?
Everyone: 17
Attacker: That's right, 17 and 1 makes 18.
Attacker: My other roll is a 15, my Dex addes --
DM: It's three higher, it's a 21. It's also a hit. Please, just roll damage.

--

Next round:

Attacker: I rolled a 12 --
DM: That's an 18, so you hit.
Attacker: But Bless could be different.
DM: Then it's higher, so it still a hit.
Attacker: I also used my +1 ammo...
DM: <singsong>*still a hit*
Attacker: ...to help offset the sharpshooter penalty.
DM: Kill me now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads