• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Feats Redux II

CapnZapp

Legend
Maybe something like one of the abilities from the "Fell-handed" feat:
When you make an attack with disadvantage and miss, if one of the rolls to hit would have beaten your opponent's AC, you deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.
I don't have Fell handed right here, but it seems wrong to deal damage even when you miss "entirely", that is, you don't even reach 10 + the opponent's Dex.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Taking that one notch further, we might acknowledge a variable AC target only makes thing more complex for little benefit and say "if you reach AC 16 you deal this damage even on a miss"...

CapnZapp

Legend
...but you aren't locked in. If you find a nifty magical mornignstar you can use and and not lose out on having spent a feat. If you want to carry different weapons for different purposes, you can and not be penalized.
For individual weapons I fully agree - this is one reason why I dislike the official UA weapon feats.

But having a *style* lock-in is much less of a problem and much more of a reasonable choice.

After all, if one feat covered all styles, your only decision point would be feat or no feat. A much less rich build complexity than "what style to specialize in?"

After all, specializing *should* carry the cost that you aren't as effective outside of your specialization.

(Otherwise you're a generalist )

Xeviat

Hero
Cool, you have dice that go up to 21 and you don't add any modifiers. Either that, or you're not realizing you're agreeing with me.

Determining "18 and 21" are the parts that take time. Especially if you have that player who works it out. for. every. single. attack.

You're being hyperbolic. Addition isn't hard, and character sheets generally have a character's Str+Prof+enhancement bonus somewhere on them.

It's only slightly "harder" than Advantage. "Does X hit? Does Y hit too?" Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapnZapp

Legend
You still have to hit your opponent's full AC on one of your attack rolls.
Now you're talking about "Fell", right?

At the moment it sounds a smidgen clumsy, the whole idea to check both ad/disad results.

If we can end up with something simpler - something that works just the same regardless of advantage or disadvantage or "no vantage" - that'd be swell.

In this case: "if you hit AC 16 you deal [Prof] even on a miss".

Of course, if [Prof] bonus damage were okay:ish, we could simply the whole feat to:

GWM
You've learned to trade accuracy for momentum.
If you hit AC 16 on a melee attack you make with a weapon you are wielding in two hands, you deal your proficiency damage in addition to the damage you deal on a hit.
Example: You are level 12 (proficiency bonus +4) and attack an Umber Hulk (AC 18). Your attack roll results in 17. Since you reach 16 or higher, you deal 4 damage even though you missed. Your next attack roll is 20, a hit. You deal 4 damage in addition to your regular damage.

But I guess we're back in "too good" territory now... Besides, coming full circle makes the feat even simpler.

Like so:
GWM
When you wield a melee weapon in both hands, if the attack hits, you add your proficiency bonus to the attack's damage.

One thing is clear - this feat is straightforward!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Now you're talking about "Fell", right?

At the moment it sounds a smidgen clumsy, the whole idea to check both ad/disad results.

If we can end up with something simpler - something that works just the same regardless of advantage or disadvantage or "no vantage" - that'd be swell.

In this case: "if you hit AC 16 you deal [Prof] even on a miss".

If you want simple, just steal a natural die mechanic from 13th Age:

On any even miss, you deal X miss damage

Poof, happens on half your misses, is super-quick to work out, doesn't happen on a 1.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads