• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Feb] What are you reading?

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Krug - I swiped Krakatoa from my father when he and my mom came to visit last summer. Good read!

Like a lot of people I've been reading Dune - I've read the first three since the 1st. I'd never managed to get past the first book, but pushed to get to the end of the third this time. I'll pick up again next month maybe.

I reread Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy yesterday, reread one of Robert Asprin's Myth books (Title escapes me right now - the one where Tanda gets captured while trying to steal a birthday present). I've got C.S. Lewis' the Screwtape Letters on my PDA right now. At home Im about half way through a reread of Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

On deck... not much. There's a lot I've been meaning to read. The rest of the Dune series, a reread of Heinlein's The Sixth Column. The Black Company has always interested me. Maybe I'll look up the Da Vinci Code for the book club.

Mallus

Legend
Thorntangle said:
Finished: Souls in the Great Machine by Sean McMullen
Charming in an odd sort of way
Fastastic book. I loved the pistol packing librarians and Fear Willy cetaceans... There are a few sequels, I believe.

Maybe something else by Michael Chabon. I was quite smitten with The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay
He only has two other novels, The Mysteries of Pittsburg and Wonder Boys. Both are very good. Mysteries is particularly impressive as its his first novel. Wonder Boys was also made into a fine film, one that actually 'adds weight' to the story in the book.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Slow month for me so far:

Twice In Time by Manly Wade Wellman. Pulp science fiction at its best. Wonderful adventure story.

Genesis: The Story We Haven't Heard by Paul Borgman. Interesting study of Genesis as a work of literature as well as a work of theology. Borgman has a good grasp of ancient literary motifs and structures, although I find some hints of disagreeable crisis theology in some of his ideas. Still, a fine book so far. I don't have to agree with everything an author writes to appreciate his work.

Last edited:

Swoop109

First Post
Since I'm going to be starting a Conan game in a couple of weeks, I've been re-reading through my collection of Howard stories to ste... er, borrow material for the game.
Prior to that I was reading the Lensmen series.

Balrog

First Post
i am currently reading Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind and finding it to be a good read, even though it seems similar to Robert Jordan's WOT in many ways. But there are more than enough unique elements to intrigue me in the series so far.

Other than that I spend most of my time reading background material for my DnD campaign, and reading story hours for inspiration.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Finished Eragon which I found was all right. The world creation wasn't too original, and the protagonist's journey fairly typical.

Back to Krakatoa and First and Only (WH40K). Been devouring a lot of gaming fiction recently.

d4

First Post
thatdarncat said:
Like a lot of people I've been reading Dune - I've read the first three since the 1st. I'd never managed to get past the first book, but pushed to get to the end of the third this time. I'll pick up again next month maybe.
i'm doing the same; i'm in the middle of Children of Dune right now.

i loved Dune (which i read for the first time this summer), but i thought Dune Messiah dragged quite a bit in comparison. i almost didn't want to go on to the third book after that, but now i'm glad i did. I like Leto and Ghanima even more than Paul, and the book is better than the second IMO.

i've heard not so nice things about the more recent Dune books penned by Herbert's son: anyone got an opinion on them? worth the time after i finish the original series?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads