• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Feb] What are you reading?

LightPhoenix

First Post
Just starting Robin Hobb's Fool's Fate, the last book of The Golden Fool trilogy. Also, it's supposedly the last book set in that world, though that remains to be seen.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Right now, I'm reading The Magicians' Guild : The Black Magician Trilogy Book 1 by Trudi Canavan. Pretty good read so far, and I'm almost done with it. The mages of this one city are charged every year with tossing all the rabble out of the walled part of the city. One girl throws a stone at a mage, as a pure act of defiance.. and strikes him through his sheilds; this means she's unconsciously used a spell.

She goes into hiding, and the mages start looking for her. Now that her powers have surfaced, they'll eventually go uncontrolled and kill both her and a huge chunk of the local real estate unless they can find and control her. There is an interesting hint about 'The Black Magician' so far, but no hard word on who he is or what he wants.

One thing I do like about the book so far; the protagonist is a pretty practical girl, and we don't see a lot of the whining and almost willful ignorance we sometimes see in a story like this. She understands what's happened, what would have happened, and works towards her own goals.

Good city, terrain map and mage guild map to rip off, as well :)

Next up: Illumination, by Terry McGarry.

Tyris Harmon

First Post
Asmo said:
Tyris, what´s your opinion on The Kings Blades books?

Asmo
I liked the books, but not enough that I will be rereading them.
Just couldn't get into it enough to care about the characters. Interesting idea though. The Blades' are basically a group of bodyguards. Once binded to a ward they gain certain abilities(as if being the finest swordsmen wasn't enough). Like the ability to never sleep, sense danger to their ward, etc. Low magic world, ritual type magic.

Well, I'm doing fairly well, although my plans have now changed. I finished Perdido Street Station and am within spittin' distance of finishing The Black Company. However, Sword of Truth and Angels & Demons will probably take a back seat to Shadows Linger and The White Rose to finish up the first story arc of the Black Company stuff. Jack Vance, on the other hand, has been pushed back. In fact, I have to take that one back to the library tonight.

isidorus

Explorer
Supporter
Just finishing "Lord Darcy" By: Randall Garrett

On Deck is
1.)The Writers Complete Fantasy Reference
2.)Thieves World-First Blood
3.)Oath of Swords By: David Weber
4.)Life in a Medieval City

Just finished re-reading the first three books of Glen Cook's The Black Company. So I'm taking a break and reading Roughing It by Mark Twain.

I also just finished reading The Cartoon Guide to the Environment. Larry Gonnick is fun - The Cartoon Guide to the Universe (Parts 1-3) are all good.

jester47

First Post
Darn it! I split again...

Currently reading-

Fritz Leiber's The Frost Monstreme and then its on to Rime Isle.
Also - D.H. Lawrence and Italy
and Steven Erikson's Memories of Ice

Potential nexts are Eragon and Dying Earth just because I have started them. Also started but not finished are The Tipping Point, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Best of the Realms, Vol I and the rest of the Elric stories.

Then I have 18 unread books waiting in line on a shelf. Plus 6 gaming fiction papberback strips (books without the covers) I retrieved from work.

After that I think I am going to read Eye of the World and The Black Company. The Rover by Robin Hobb is on the list. Then I am going to finish the Drizzt Series. By then Bob Salvatore should have the first book of the Entreri Series out, which I will buy sight unseen, if all his Entreri stories and Servent of the Shard are an indicator to the quality of such yarns.

Erikson and Lawrence are taking priority because they are library books...

I am trying to get into the habit of not buying books unless I REALLY like them or expect to REALLY like them.

Aaron.

Last edited:

Welverin

First Post
d4 said:
i've heard not so nice things about the more recent Dune books penned by Herbert's son: anyone got an opinion on them? worth the time after i finish the original series?

I liked them all well enough as did my father and brother, though I can't remember anyone here saying they liked them (most putting them down something fierce).

My suggestion would be to try one of the books (say House Atreides) and if the style doesn't bother you give the rest a try.

pjchik

First Post
Stuff I've just finished (or just can't read anymore of) : The Thousand Orcs...now I'm waiting for The Lone Drow to come out in paperback
Jedi Apprentice #2 The Dark Rival (no, I don't have a *thing* for Obi-Wan ;p)
The Last Battle-Lewis (and the rest of the Narnia books, for that matter)
Portrait of a Serial Killer-Cornwell (this is the one I quit on, btw)
The Quotable Slayer
Plains of Passage-Auel
Stuff I'm working on:
The Island and the Ring-Stevenson quite good actually
Eye of The Beholder hopefully it will make more sense (to me) than the movie
Valley of the Dolls-Susann...again hehe
Shelters of Stone-Auel
On the nightstand:
4 new Buffy/Angel books (I don't even know all the titles!) Monster Island is one of them
My husband found 4 Raymond Feist books at a thrift shop recently, and he's trying to get me into them. So, there's another 4 books.
and lastly, The Silmarillion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads