• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feeblemind + Mindblank = !

Brisk-sg

First Post
Hey All,

In an Eberron campaign I have been running, the pcs were recently tasked with the transport of a man who had lost all his memory, had gone mute, and pretty much dumb. No one knew what had happened to him, or where he was from. The pcs are to transport him to Arcanix to find out what has happened to him.

In my dark little dm mind I had concocted a plot line that a man was born with an abberrent dragonmark that makes him (and everyone within 30' of him) immune to the normal entrapping effect of the plane of Dolurrh. I call him the Dolurrhman.

Basically, durring a battle with agents of the Lords of Dust, one of the most powerful Rhakshasa cast Feeblemind on him as well as placing an artifact that shields its purpose that cast mindblank on him at midnight of each night. The Lords of Dust plan to use him to release one of their imprisoned Rajahs from the Lair of the Keeper. Before they are able to make off with him in his disabled form they are set upon by the Gatekeepers.

Per the rules, would a Mindblank spell keep heal, wish, limited wish, ect from healing the feeblemind? Would mindblank heal the feeblemind affect?

Here are the two spells from the SRD for reference:

Feeblemind
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
If the target creature fails a Will saving throw, its Intelligence and Charisma scores each drop to 1. The affected creature is unable to use Intelligence- or Charisma-based skills, cast spells, understand language, or communicate coherently. Still, it knows who its friends are and can follow them and even protect them. The subject remains in this state until a heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish spell is used to cancel the effect of the feeblemind. A creature that can cast arcane spells, such as a sorcerer or a wizard, takes a –4 penalty on its saving throw.
Material Component: A handful of clay, crystal, glass, or mineral spheres.

Mind Blank
Abjuration
Level: Protection 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. Mind blank even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it. In the case of scrying that scans an area the creature is in, such as arcane eye, the spell works but the creature simply isn’t detected. Scrying attempts that are targeted specifically at the subject do not work at all.

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Mind Blank wouldn't stop heal from fixing feeblemind. Heal doesn't detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts, nor is it a mind affecting spell (such spells are clearly labelled in their description). However, if you're going to have an artifact on him anyway, why not make that what keeps him from being unfeebleminded? Don't need to come up with some spell combo, you're the DM, just say it works (or doesn't, in this case). Fear the almighty Unfeeblemindatron!

-The Souljourner

Brisk-sg

First Post
The Souljourner said:
Don't need to come up with some spell combo, you're the DM, just say it works (or doesn't, in this case). Fear the almighty Unfeeblemindatron!

-The Souljourner
I was just going to have it fail until a certain point regardless, I was just curious more then anything.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
To avoid creaking plot stresses, I'd probably make such an artifact keep a person's mental state totally stable: no hurting a healthy mind, no helping a hurt mind, no changing of mental attributes. That makes it useful in other situations, too.

Remove ads