Fey in 5e DnD

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
As aspects of fate, the fey (especially the elves) can foresee that humans are central to destiny of the multiverse. Yet humans seem so ... mundane. It bewilders the fey how such insignificant humans could possibly be so important. As such, the humans are an object of fascination to fey.

Part of the reason why some elf communities immigrated into the realm of matter was to see if they could gain some insight into what made the humans so impacting.
In my world, the expansion of humans has led to encroachment upon the virgin forests and wild places where the feywild spills into the prime. Elves long ago undertook a vigorous and emotional crusade to defend those spaces. In the elven language, this is called eladrin.

Kurotowa

Legend
Fey can never completely disguise themselves.

This is true to folkbeliefs. An alfr or jǫtunn that shifts into the shape of an animal might still have human-like eyes. A water nykr that shifts into a wealthy human aristorcrat has continually damp clothes that are wet around the ankles. A troll who is extremely beautiful (some are) might still have an animal tail. And so on.

Indeed. My parents shoved a lot of world myth books into my hands as a kid, and I do believe it shows. ;) The reason I went into the why and how is that this is for D&D. The players often want an explanation beyond "because that's how it is" so that they can try to spin clever plans and try to out trick the opposition.

Also, having a failure state serves as a potential plot hook. Imagine a Lord of the Summer Court contacts the party. He tells them his daughter took on mortal shape to play a prank, but she used nameplay to identify herself through her disguise. When she married a human Duke and her name changed the disguise became too perfect and she lost herself. Now he wants the party to go remind his daughter of herself and return her. Only she seems happy where she is, and the Duke is certainly going to be furious if the party ruins his happy new marriage. But refusing the Summer Court outright might not be the healthiest idea either. What to do?

Satyrn

First Post
Also, the elven word for "orc" in my world is drow.

;)

tumblr_mpe7n2tWZt1qi66kho1_500.jpg

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
The fey plane is central to my settings.

First and foremost, feywild is a spirit realm comprising spirits. It overlaps the matter of the material plane, yet has no matter in itself. When people pass thru a portal from the material plane into the fey plane, their material body remains in the material plane. Depending on the method of transit, the body may sleep, or dissipate into a kind of vaporous suspended animation, or even cease to exist. In many cases, the absence of a material body means it is impossible to return to the material plane, unless there is magic to recreate a material body.

(In my near future setting, the fey plane is cyberspace.)

As a spirit realm the fey is the aspect of the ethereal plane nearer to the plane of positive energy, thus a place of healing, vibrant life, and wellbeing. Oppositely, the shadow is the aspect of the ethereal plane nearer to the plane of negative energy, thus a place of energy loss, decay, and despair.

Both overlap the material closely. A building in the material realm appears clean and artistically splendid in the fey plane, but in disrepair and spookily gloomy in the shadow plane.
I like the association with the fey-positive and shadow-negative energy planes, but how does that map out? Where do the celestial and infernal planes fit in?

Yaarel

He Mage
I like the association with the fey-positive and shadow-negative energy planes, but how does that map out? Where do the celestial and infernal planes fit in?

It depends on the cosmology.

I use my own cosmology.

If one is using the 1e Greyhawk cosmology, the positive energy plane is located inside the ethereal plane. So, one can make the faerie and the positivity into the shallow end (bordering the material plane) and the deep end of the positive energy plane.

If one is using the 5e Forgotten Realms cosmology, then understand the positive plane as pervading the multiverse. The positive plane perfuses the astral plane to form and illuminate the celestial upper planes, and likewise perfuses the ethereal plane to form and energize the feywild plane. (If necessary, one can think of the elemental planes as containing both positivity and negativity within matter, thus locking up any positive or negative influences.)

Last edited:

In my homebrew setting, fey are pretty dangerous. You never know when they may be helpful, playful, or have you dance until you drop dead. They don't understand human morality. However, druids have a very special connection to the fey.

In my campaign, druids are stolen from their parents as babies, and then raised in the wild among the fey. As a young child, they are introduced to all the fey, who remember them and recognize them, even when they have grown into an adult. Druids are often the only ones who can see fey, because fey often do not like to be seen by mortals. So a druid may see a sprite run across the table, when their party members see nothing at all.

Because my campaign is aquatic, mermaids are considered among the fey folk as well.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
If there's a Shadowdark, there must be a corresponding Lightbright. The cosmic balance of the multiverse depends on it!

ANYwho, my homebrew world's Land [coterminal plane] of Faerie is fairly well integrated into the setting's cosmology. There are "nicer/brighter/happier" areas of the Fae and there are "darker/gloomier/nastier" parts the closer one gets to the planar borders of the Shadow plane. It is a place of the "Faerie" of legend and folkore from the British Isles and Erie -complete with toadstool circles/stone henges/oaken grove/rock walls or fallen tree portals back and forth (to various other planes or sections of Faerie), some elements/kookiness of Alice in Wonderland, some Narnia/Oz talking-anthropomorphized animals, Neil Gaiman's realm of the Dreaming (lighter and darker elements), Pan's Labyrinth, and all around "super-[magical]-nature" and alien-otherworldly beauty.

Elves, as in PC races that folks know/interact with, are actually Material Planar beings in my world. Born of the spilled blood of an elder deity. Initially immortal, but can be killed and/or "die" by [consciously] transcending their physical forms (after several millennia, and a general boredom-malaise that takes hold, this is generally undertaken by choice) to continue a spiritual/energy existence in the higher planes.

Elves who consciously chose to go to the Realm of Fae at its creation (another setting legend/myth for another time) set up their own strongholds and established "kingdoms" there and multiplied. These are the Sidhe. The most magical/otherworldly elements of the Tuatha de Danaans, essentially. Super magical. The "nobles" and rulers of Faerie, though I do not use the Seelie/Summer-Winter/Unseelie courts thing. . The elfiest elves who ever elfed elfish.

It is believed (by some sages and scholars of such topics, the dalevar of Orea have no such records or legends of their own origins) Halflings (for PCs) in the setting are the material immigrants FROM the Faerieland TO the Material plane. Just kinda came and set up shop and are happy as clams in their rural quiet comfortable existences. Brownies, basically, who adapted/[de-?]evolved to an existence/nature that was un-magical in the Prime Material world. How or why a group of Brownies would have made such a decision is anyone's guess.

Those same scholars, though it is impossible to get a straight answer out of a gnome themself, are assured that the Gnomes of the material plane are exiles from the realms of Faerie closest/and most closely attuned to the Earth Elemental plane....banished Spriggans (and among one school of thought, banished and cursed Firbolgs), some of whom delved the deepest recesses of the earth in search of ways back to the Fae and found avenues to Elemental Earth, at least, the Dactyloi (my setting svirfneblins), and some who came across much darker powers, becoming the Derro and/or Duergar.

Goblins -while indisputably material creatures fallen to evil who multiply at an uncontrollable rate- are found throughout the Fae realm. Some by their own accidental crossing through a portal, others as dark armies recruited/ensorcelled for would be fae-lord conquerors, or native fae-beings tainted by contact with unspeakable unknown evils, fae-goblinoids are a dangerous bunch. The most commonly referenced in fire-side tales and stories for naughty children, are the Redcaps. Straight up homicidal psychopathic murdering goblins looking to slice and dice anything goodly or innocent they come across. Boggarts are also reputed by many to be goblins mutated by and/or originating from the Faerie.

While the male Troll has been a festering rot, scourge of stupidity, overbearing size, strength, and cruelty on the material world for unknown eons, the females of the species -collectively known as "Hags"- are the innately more magical inhabit the Faerie in numbers, possessing both the knowledge and magic for crossing between realms as they wish. As such, male trolls and ogres are often encountered at the edges of the fae realms closest to the materials, on both sides of the Veil.

Of course "sylvan" creatures are known to inhabit the Fae and Material planes in nearly equal numbers. The Satyrs of the setting (a PC race) have cousins in faerie, much more magically adept than material plane satyrs, known as "Fauns." Centaurs are largely the same in either plane, viewing the Faerie as just another facet/extension of their spiritual existence. Forest Giants (my setting's Treants) and proper "faeries": pixies, sprites, nixies (elemental-water sprites), gricks, pucca, and the like...also nymphs (dryads, nereids, et al.)...are found in either plane and seem to have a capacity -or at least the knowledge of how/where to go- to cross between the Material and Fae lands freely.

Fae Giantkind is not limited to the tree-like Forest Giants. As most things in the Faerie, size is a largely varied and relative thing. Known specimens of giantkind - who once traveled to, became residents of, or in one case were banished to/imprisoned within the fae realms are the Firbolg and Veerbeeg, and the grotesque misshapen Formor who have battled wit the bright Sidhe kings and queens for uncounted ages.

Dragons of the Faerie, like most all of its beings, come in a variety of shapes and sizes from the somewhat "commonly" known, among adventuring types anyway, tiny butterfly-winged direct-though-aptly-named "Faerie Dragons," to the lumbering gregarious ever-friendly wyrms known as "Rainbow Dragons," to the dazzling shining might and transcendent powers of -what are somewhat mistakenly referred to as- the "Gemstone Dragons." As always, where beauty and goodness reign, there will be evil trying to bring it low, spewing dark and sinister drakes and wyrms of all types -one most famous was once called "Jabberwock." Whether that was the creature's proper name or not is a matter of some contention amongst scholars of the Faerie- who inevitably slither into the Fae in search of fabled magics and treasures...or simply to spread their evil and darkness and squelch the general "good" nature of the plane.

What else was it you wanted to know about [how I handle] the Faerie?

Remove ads