Feywild Reading List - Recommendations?

Irda Ranger

First Post
Can anyone suggest any good novels that capture the feeling of the Feywild? I'm thinking about the uncaring fey, the aloof Eladrin, etc. Specifically, I am not looking to collect Tolkienish fantasy like Feist and Brooks.

I'll start with a good one:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Among-Men-Robert-Charrette/dp/0446600377"]A Prince Among Men[/ame]. A mid-21st century dystopian fantasy, it tells the story of King Arthur reborn. The elves and goblins are particularly fey.

theodoric

First Post
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel captures the mood of the alien mind set of fey. Gaimen's stardust is very good too, and don't forget Lord Dunsany who's works inspired both the above works. I would also heavily recomend changling the lost.

Rakor

First Post
A second for Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell, Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series has him dealing with fey quite a bit. If you are over 18 you might find some inspiration in Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series.

Khayman

First Post
The Sandman comics and related novels by Neil Gaiman feature several crossovers to Faerie. The Fair Folk are not always so fair, and there are frequently (obscure) rules by which one can interact with them. Accept an innocent-looking gift and you may unwittingly enter a bargain. A lot of this runs through the rest of Gaiman's novels even if they're not specifically about the fey.

As for non-novel sources, there's White Wolf's Changeling game. I'd also recommend watching Hellboy II and Pan's Labyrinth until your eyes bleed.

Michele Carter

First Post
Agreed, Susannah Clarke's Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell is virtually a blueprint for the Feywild.

Also, see Elizabeth Bear's Blood and Iron and sequels (Whiskey and Water, Ink and Steel, Hell and Earth) for some astonishing writing and truly ruthless fey.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Prachett's Lords and Ladies has a lot of super-scary blithly uncaring fae under all the comedy with the witches and such.

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Nobody said elves were nice.
Elves are bad.

Last edited:

Remove ads