FFG Mythic Races - to buy or not to buy?

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I have both books, and I'd have to go with Mythic Races. MR has fewer spins on the same old thing (like new versions of old races). RoE is better mechanically overall, but MR is far from broken. I let my players select characters from both books and so far I've only had to do minor tweaking to a couple of the races (like adding +2 ECL to fairies and wiping out the HD penalty). MR inspired me more than RoE overall. However, either way you go, you be getting a good selection of new races for you games.

Hope this helped,
Kane

Frilf

Explorer
Kane,

We had our rules guy working overtime on the mechanics and balance and we feel he did a super job. I only know enough about that area to get myself in deep water. Thanks for the feedback, though.

As far as unique, non-standard race concepts go, RoE II & III will have progressively more unique races to choose from (including some that don't even have arms or legs!). We just didn't want to scare anyone with the first volume ;)

Cheerio!
Ian

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Frilf said:
Kane,

We had our rules guy working overtime on the mechanics and balance and we feel he did a super job. I only know enough about that area to get myself in deep water. Thanks for the feedback, though.

As far as unique, non-standard race concepts go, RoE II & III will have progressively more unique races to choose from (including some that don't even have arms or legs!). We just didn't want to scare anyone with the first volume ;)

Cheerio!
Ian

It looks like an interesting product, and I want to buy it. However, are there any plans for a hardcopy version of this, or is it only going to be made available in PDF format? I prefer hardcopy (and something about hardcopy makes it more likely that I will be able to sell my DMs on the idea of letting those new races in).

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I thought RoE was an excellent product. I felt it was very well done, especially in the realm of mechanics. It's good to see D20 companies going that extra mile to make sure they put out the best product possible, not only in layout and ideas, but in mechanics as well. That's one of the reasons why I'm anxiously awaiting Races of Evernor 2!

Kane

Frilf

Explorer
Mistwell,

Yes, there are plans afoot for a hardcopy of RoE next year, but they are not yet set in stone. What we'd like to do is combine the races from the three planned PDFs, add a few extra goodies and then go to print. But you didn't hear that from me ;) The Book of Templates will probably come out first in print.

Kane,

Thanks for the kind words. We really appreciate it! RoE II should be ready in a month or less (again, don't quote me, but that's what I "feel"). If there's ever anything else we can do to make sure we're going that extra mile, just drop us a line. We like to hear from folks and we like to continuously improve our stuff.

Cheers!
Ian

JoeGKushner

First Post
zdanboy said:
JoeGKushner: What races out of the book do you use? Can you list hem? Do you use the Sendasti?

To all others, as DM's, would you let your players use races from the book?

Sorry for the delay in posting, lost the thread.

Anyway, my review, over here:
http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=JoeGKushner&product=rev1

shows my opinion of the book.

In my campaign, SL, humans are of course the majority and I haven't put any of these races into positions of power but they are there.

I've used the Cabaran, a tribe shattered by the Titan War.

Fjurnian , pretty much the same deal, descended into barbarianism just prior to Titan War.

Glimjara wander around, mostly untrusted but in my SL game, they worship Hadrada as the bringer of civilization and thus are tolerated.

Celedhriel are more powerful versions of the Luminous in my campaign and are trapped upon Scarn until they can purge all of their brothers who've been tained by the Titans.

Elyrian are mostly unknown factors in the campaign but are there for those who seek hidden knowledge.

Orusk are often found in the Toes and in Freeport with their more land locked brotheren. Between them and the Orks from Soverign Stone, I've had some interesting ideas for raiding parties.

Hope that helps.

Valicor

First Post
I bought the book way back when it first came out. The major problem I have with it is their is alot to incorperate into a campaign, Unless your goign for a homebrew or a really diverse game it will be hard to fit in. I found I am only just begining to use the book.

I love the stuff on the Risen Demons, but there are a few races that you need to eb careful of. Its generally a book to buy only if your really feel you need the campaign flexibilty in races and have cash to spare.

Frilf

Explorer
Wow! You're using *half* of the races in your campaign, Joe? We're truly flattered! I can't even get our GM (who edited the book, btw) to do that :D Seriously, though, that's impressive, *esp.* for a non-Evernor campaign. As an aside, do you feel the races integrate well into the SL world?

Ian

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Do I feel the races integrate well? It depends on who you ask really.

For a SL Purist, probably not.

For someone who uses the races all the time, probably not.

For someone who uses them as they are presented, variants, for the most part, of core races, who showcase the damage that the war between titan and god did to the land, yes.

For someone who wants to add something different to the campaign without having to expalin dozens of new races, yes.

Just an aside, I'm using more than the races I listed but the other races tend to take up monster positions within the world as opposed to racial ones.

The Cardinal

First Post
I really like MR: my new character is a Paladin/Cleric Risen Demon (going for Warpriest), and the next character of my best friend (who plays in the same campaign) will be an Bard/Fighter/Lasher Illonis.

Remove ads