• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiend Folio contents

Information

First Post
I've only just returned to Enworld, and gaming in general, after months of voluntary exile. I've noticed that Fiend Folio 3E will soon become a reality, and I'm interested in D&D 3.5.

I'd like to know if the archdevils and demon lords will be reprinted in FF (if so, hopefully with some better illustrations).

Anyone (Upper_Krust, old friend?) know how complicated use of Deities and Demigods will be under the D&D 3.5 regime?

Thanks.

Gez

First Post
They've updated the mock-up cover:

products_dndacc_886610000_lgpic.jpg

And this:
Long-time gamers will recognize the title of this 224-page hardcover, but they'll remember only about a dozen of the critters inside. And, since it's got over 150 monsters lurking in there, that's pretty exciting. More exciting is the fact that about 100 of 'em are all-new.

Okay, math whizzes out there will quickly divine that somewhere around forty of the monsters aren't "all-new." That's because, in addition to the handful of favorites from the original Fiend Folio (like the blood hawk, dark skulker, and yellow musk creeper), you'll also find the most formidable foes from sources such as Dungeon Magazine, Dragon Magazine, Living Greyhawk Journal, D&D adventures (like Heart of Nightfang Spire), and this fine website. And, lest anyone freak out over "recycled" monsters, keep in mind that those critters are (1) really cool monsters (2) easily accessible and (3) now 100% official.

Anyway, Fiend Folio is a particularly vicious addition to your gaming bookshelf -- it focuses on extraplanar creatures. Rest assured that you'll get an array of all creature types, with a full range of CRs. But adventuring parties with a DM who owns this book will definitely find themselves in situations where a dismissal or banishment spell would do a world of good.

Is about all we have right now on the FF's content... Although, the dark skulker probably won't exist and was just an amalgamation of the skulk, the dark creeper and the dark stalker. There's speculation the Steel Dragon will makes its comeback there (as one of the recent web features on wizards.com involved one), and we may see the creatures that were cutted-off from the MM2 (like the silt horrors, the tunnel terror, the spriggan or the zodar).

One of the recent issues of Dungeon had Skulks, Dark Creepers and Dark Stalkers in it, as well as a Half-Troll (a template applied to a dwarf) in it. They were mentioned as being some of the monsters from the Fiend Folio that would show up in that adventure.

rounser

First Post
I like the idea of a half-troll. There's something about the idea which seems quite "oldschool", for lack of a better descriptor. Hopefully that dark nymph that they had on the WotC site made it in too - gotta love dark fey as villains, they're uniquely twisted.

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
rounser said:
I like the idea of a half-troll. There's something about the idea which seems quite "oldschool", for lack of a better descriptor.

Agreed, that's why I added gnorts (gnoll-trolls) and trogres (troll-ogres) awhile back :D

jdavis

First Post
A lot of the old Fiend Folio creatures are in the Tome of Horrors book, that would probably be a good place to see what will not be in the Fiend Folio. Tome of Horrors had a lot of the Archdevils and Demon Lords in it.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Most of the interesting arch-devils and demonlords are in the Book of Vile Darkness. For the record, I do not like Baalzebul's new form. Speaking of which, wasn't he originally Baalzebub?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Baraendur said:
Most of the interesting arch-devils and demonlords are in the Book of Vile Darkness. For the record, I do not like Baalzebul's new form. Speaking of which, wasn't he originally Baalzebub?

In the old old old Dragon article, "Politics of Hell" (from issue 30-something, I think...) it talks about how Beelzebub took over after Satan was overthrown and exiled from Hell. However, he was ineffectual as a ruler, and eventually had to step down in favor of Asmodeus by pressure from other devils. Part of doing so was that he change his name to Baalzebul so the old rituals involving his (previous) name would no longer work.

On that note, it would be nice if the Fiend Folio had some new arch-devils and demon lords, but it doesn't seem likely. It's going to, apparently, be a collection of monsters from other sources like magazines and their website since 3E was released. Oh well...we still have the BoVD and ToH.

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
For the record, I do not like Baalzebul's new form. Speaking of which, wasn't he originally Baalzebub?
Don't think so. Are you confusing the name with Beelzebub? Baalzebul is an obvious corruption of Beelzebub, which is a "real life" name for a devil according to Catholicism...and I think the AD&D 1E Monster Manual had a Baalzebul in it, steering away from the name slightly whilst alluding to it for flavour. Probably for similar reasons as to why Asmodeus heads D&D's devilish hierarchy rather than Satan - allusions and references to Christian mythology are present, but it's deliberately not a facsimile.

Last edited:

Remove ads