• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiend Folio items in Dungeon #97

Urbanmech

Explorer
I just got my new Dungeon/Polyhedron today. In the new Dungeon adventure path module there are stats from 3 monsters from the Fiend Folio. The Dark Creeper, Dark Stalker and the Skulk. There is also a new template applied to one of the NPC's, the half-troll. Looks like good stuff.

Also the new Dungeon is printing the stat blocks in 3.5e format with the BAB and grab scores listed for each encounter.

rounser

First Post
I know those three were in the 1E Fiend Folio, but would I be right in assuming that you mean that one and that they probably won't be appearing in the 3E Fiend Folio?

I like those monsters, by the way. Ed Greenwood didn't, though; in his review of the original Fiend Folio he described the Dark Creepers as "Bedouin Dwarves" if I recall correctly... :)

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
Dark Creeper and the Dark Stalker already appeared in the Tome of Horrors....

This should be interesting.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Gez said:
I doubt anything from the Fiend Folio will be OGC, even if it's printed in advance in a magazine.

If it is in the Tome, then it may already be OGC, and if the mag is using the d20 System logo, don't they need to use the OGL and refer to the Tome? Or are those entries in the Tome used with permission from WotC, and therefore also used in the mag with permission from WotC (which is no longer part of WotC and therfore needs permission)? :confused: :D

Gez

First Post
Mark said:

If it is in the Tome, then it may already be OGC, and if the mag is using the d20 System logo, don't they need to use the OGL and refer to the Tome? Or are those entries in the Tome used with permission from WotC, and therefore also used in the mag with permission from WotC (which is no longer part of WotC and therfore needs permission)? :confused: :D

The Tome creatures are OGC. But WotC's ones are not. Those in the Fiend Folio won't be OGC (and they won't be based on the ToH's version either).

If the magazine in question publish material excerpted from the Tome of Horrors, then it is OGC.

But I doubt they used this source, especially in an issue about the upcoming FF and D&D revision.

So their source is the Fiend Folio. And thus it isn't OGC.

There are already several duplicated monsters: yeti are in Oriental Adventure, and they are not OGC there. Several ToH fiendlords are in the BoVD and its web-enhancement, and you have the "This product contains NO OGC" banner. And so on.

Urbanmech

Explorer
I'm pretty sure that the versions of the monsters are from the upcoming Fiend Folio. There is no mention of OGC in the adventure and it specifically states that new Fiend Folio monsters will be featured.

I wonder how much the two versions differ from one another. I also thought that they were trying to avoid doing the creature overlap with the FF and ToH.

Remove ads