Fiend's Embrace - IC Thread

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Harval sighs, feeling a headache already starting.

"Great, it's a traveling circus, fantastic."

He puts away the potion and adjusts his pack for the long walk ahead.

Rayex

First Post
Gnro - Lizardfolk Favoured Soul

Thanking Arakk for the potions and provisions, she turns around and looks curiously at the newcomer. Even more so when he winks at her.

He saw me for who, and what I am, and didn't mind. Neither did the rest... This is looking to be a nice group to travel with. For now...

Her doubts about the world, the big folk, and everything non-lizardlike in general, are quick to resurface, but she keeps them to herself.

Malvoisin

First Post
Arakk leans casually against the wagon as he sizes up the newcomer. "Not to late at all, friend, not at all. It seems that the group suddenly has need of someone with some magical aptitude, so I doubt they'll turn you away...travelling circus notwithstanding," he says, arching an eyebrow at Harval.

"I'll let your companions bring you up to speed with the details, but the long and short of it is that I'm paying you to find an artifact in a keep in the Cold Marshes. Yes, that potion is for you, no need to be grabby..."

Arakk leans over into the wagon and pulls out another set of cold weather clothing, this one more suitably sized for Gunk's small frame. "Here, try this one, I had some spares made, and you look to be of a similar size with Gnro, there." Arakk hands over the clothing, and turns to size up the five adventurers.

"Very well, then, I've done what I can for you. I wish you all the best fortune on this journey. When you return, ask for me here at the Wyvern's Sting, and we'll arrange for your payment. I'm off then!" Arakk goes back inside the inn, leaving the intrepid explorers to themselves.

After a few moments, everyone has had time to change into their new clothing. Decked out in thick shirts and pants, heavy coats, caps, and cloaks, and of course, sturdy water-proofed boots, the group members feel well protected against the chill in the air. With all preparations now made, the expedition begins.

Once outside of Eru Tovar, the journey begins simply enough with a march through the northern plains of the Wolf Nomads. There is no road, but the map is easy enough to follow at this point. The skies are a bit overcast, but there seems little threat of rain.

After walking for about two hours, the plains begin to give way to the swampland of the Cold Marshes. The terrain turns into a wetland, shrouded in chilling fog and ground mist. In places, the soggy ground gives way to large but shallow bodies of cold water. Heath, sedge, and stunted trees are the common vegetation.

Here, the temperature is noticably cooler, and the group is glad for the foresight of wearing their winter clothing. With each person's breath visible before their faces as they walk, it seems clear that exposure in this climate would turn hazardous over time.

hafrogman

Adventurer
As soon as the group gets out of sight of Eru Tovar, Gunk gives a dramatic shake of his head, and his features stretch out, sharpen, and take on a decidedly green hue.

"Oh my, that feels better! You have no idea what it feels like to have your face squished up like that. Well, really it doesn't feel like anything, it's just an illusion, I guess it's all in my head or something. I still find it a relief to be my normal self again."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Harval takes the point as they press forward into increasingly marshy terrain, axe in his hand, haft leaned against his shoulder when the ground is stable enough.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Idivien had taken the change from being a Balor to being a Goblin just as another dressing for the same lie, so when he changes back...
He was a goblin after all! This group is actually interesting

When Gunk takes on his goblin form, the covered man emits low laughther...

Then he just stares ahead from the shadows of his hood, bow on hand, waiting, wondering when they'll find the Hut... and wether they'll find it or not, will it be self evident? or hidden out?...

When his Raven takes cover under his cloak his pondering of the future is stopped... freaking spoiled raven...

Malvoisin

First Post
The company presses deeper into the Cold Marshes for the remainder of the morning, with Harval checking the map repeatedly, doing his best to keep the group on course towards Zarlag's Hut. Still, the swamp's terrain lacks many distinguishable features, so it's difficult to say whether they're going the right direction. Every now and then, the sound of something splashing in the water, or the cry of some beast splits the cold, heavy air. But, despite these disquieting sounds, the morning is uneventful.

After stopping for the midday meal, the group proceeds on its way once more. By this time, the ever-present mist and fog has begun to grow thicker, and soon visibility is reduced to little more than five feet away. Everything beyond five feet is reduced only to vague shapes in the mist. Travel is forced to a slow walk, to avoid stumbling over roots, or blundering into hidden pools of water. Now, even with the map, it is very hard to navigate the proper direction, to Harval's frustration.

[sblock=Harval, Idivien, Gunk]Your keen ears pick up the sound of something approaching, through the fog, allowing you to ready yourselves for what happens next...[/sblock]

Suddenly, half a dozen small creatures burst forth from the dense fog, directly ahead of you! They appear to be small wingless dragon-like creatures, with powerful hind legs, green scales and bright yellow and orange crests on their heads and backs. With snapping jaws, they leap forward to attack!

Crested%20Felldrake.JPG

Code:
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |[color=red]6[/color]| | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |[color=red]2[/color]|[color=red]5[/color]| | | | |
| | | | |[b]A[/b]|[b][color=seagreen]G[/color][/b]|[b][color=yellowgreen]G[/color][/b]|[b][color=dimgray]I[/color][/b]|[b][color=sienna]H[/color][/b]|[color=red]1[/color]|[color=red]3[/color]| | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | |[color=red]4[/color]| | | | |

SURPRISE ROUND

Thanks to successful Listen checks, Harval, Idivien and Gunk can make a standard action in this round. I've included a very crude map, which should help in determining positions, etc.

Initiative Order:

1. Idivien = 23
2. Harval = 18
3. Gunk = 16 (Wins Tie-Breaker)
4. Crested Felldrakes = 16

Actions?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Pondering what he knows of the Cloak, Aeligim muses on what Demon lords he knows of. The obese goat lord is known for his mastery of necromancy and so an item crafted from the corpse of an enemy in the Blood War would fit . . . and then he curses himself for his distraction as the little swamp beasts burst upon the front of the party and weapons start swinging against scales.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Evan as he detects the sound of approaching trouble, the words spring forth from Gunk's mouth that will wrap him in an invisible field of force to help shield him from whatever danger presents itself. The creatures seem to lunge forward just as his spell is completed.

[ooc: casting mage armor, AC: 17]

Land Outcast

Explorer
When the mist rose, Idivien recognized his bow would prove useless, and therefore stored it, getting his rapier instead.

When the Raven took flight, Idivien stopped right on his tracks and moved besides Harval.

"Ssomething iss comming..."

When the first scaled beast bursts into their line of sight, he lunges foward with his rapier so as to allow the draconic creature to impale itself with the rapier.

OOC: 5-ft foward [Free action], Attack [Standard Action][Mwk. Rapier +7 melee (1d6/18-20), 20% misschance]

Last edited:

Remove ads