• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fifa World Cup 2010

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Geeze! Just watching this game makes me want to sing!

England's stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah they all got [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI8I6qcxWyU"]"Yellow"[/ame]

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
When US citizens don't have a team that can win in the World Cup, we root for any other New World team. I'll root for Brazil or Argentina if the US is knocked out.

I was cheering for the USA, but I drew England in our office pool, so I was at least slightly conflicted. I'll take 1:1.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I really feel for England's Goalie, Green. It can be such a thankless job being the last line of defense. I went through something like that myself.

I was on a college intramural team consisting of volunteers from a social club and the school glee club/choir/music majors (they were only in it for the participation points). I was the only one who had played organized soccer, so I decided to play goalie.

We were up against the ROTC squad, which featured a bunch of athletes- duh! they're in training for the military!- and some actual players.

From the first whistle, it was half-field soccer. The only time my team progressed past midfield was when I kicked a freebie across.

In 89 minutes, I stopped 45 shots...some from within the goal box.

With a minute left, one of the ROTC players kicked a weak centering pass that was dribbling right on net...and nobody from his team was following through. I had all the time in the world...

And I saw one of my players making a break for midfield, utterly uncovered but totally onside!

So instead of just stopping the ball, I accelerated in order to boom the ball upfield, planting my foot to make the strike...and my plant foot didn't.

As my other foot swung towards the ball, I found myself upside down in the air as the ball continued, untouched, towards our goal. It had just enough momentum to carry it across the line for a goal.

Stopped 45, let in a softie in the final minute.

Later on in that tournament, I watched another goalie have a similar moment. He tried to punt the ball upfield and planted in a mud puddle. Result: a bicycle kick own-goal (his team won, though).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And FWIW, I'm REALLY curious as to how Korea will do. I remember how well they did in 2002- lots of exciting, quick play.

Punnuendo

First Post
I'll take that result. Bradley always has questionable game plans for me though. Dempsey is probably the State's top guy for breaking games open and making chances, yet they usually have him playing a support position. It is frustrating.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I was cheering for the USA, but I drew England in our office pool, so I was at least slightly conflicted. I'll take 1:1.

If there's money or some other prize involved, there's not a US born American who would fault you for hoping to win the pool with a blind draw. ;)

Remove ads