Fifa World Cup 2010

Phaezen

First Post
More randomness - The first international match outside of the UK was played by the USA vs Canada in Newark, New Jersey in 1885. Canada won 1-0.

Phaezen

First Post
1 - 1 Draw between Mexico and South Africa in the opening game, although either team could have taken it.

This might be slightly biased, but cracker of an opening goal, I hope it sets the standard for the rest of the tournament.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Real patriots root for Team USA to lose. It's a matter of national pride, we're supposed to suck at soccer!

I forgot to say this:

As Americans, we're supposed to think we're going to dominate in any sport. What we're NOT supposed to have is any idea of where any of the countries we're playing against are. In some states, being able to ID any continent other than ours is a punishable offense. Even knowing the locations of the other states outside your own and the immediate surrounds will get you the hairy eyeball.

Heaven help you if you know any of the state capitols.

Krug

Newshound
1 - 1 Draw between Mexico and South Africa in the opening game, although either team could have taken it.

This might be slightly biased, but cracker of an opening goal, I hope it sets the standard for the rest of the tournament.

Yeah SA almost had it. It was a sluggish first half but things picked up in the second.

Punnuendo

First Post
I'm supporting the Yanks as far as they'll go but my upset pick to win the whole tournament is the Oranje. Can anyone else score like the Netherlands?

That was only slightly tongue in cheek.

Orius

Legend
Here's a question - how many people on this thread knew that the USA beat England 1 - 0 back in the 1950's?

How the hell did THAT happen? We beat England, and in the '50s no less?!

As Americans, we're supposed to think we're going to dominate in any sport. What we're NOT supposed to have is any idea of where any of the countries we're playing against are. In some states, being able to ID any continent other than ours is a punishable offense. Even knowing the locations of the other states outside your own and the immediate surrounds will get you the hairy eyeball.

Heaven help you if you know any of the state capitols.

I need to know where these places are so I can avoid them like the plague. Otherwise, I'm likely to end up on death row!

Remove ads