Fifa World Cup 2010

Phaezen

First Post
Spain ARE the European Champions, though! And they've got Villa and Torres up front - that's got to be the most dangerous partnership in the World Cup.

I am, of course, cheering for England and hoping like hell that Rooney doesn't get a) injured or b) sent off.

I'm also going to be enthusiastically cheering Aaron Lennon, the Tottenham speed-demon, and wishing him luck. He's possibly my favourite English player right now.

Argentina are either going to be spectacular, or spectacularly awful. Maradonna is an absolute lunatic, but he might just inspire them.

Maradonna is the weak link in the Argentina setup right now, I hope he doesn't drag the team down.

As a supporter of the host team, I am hoping we get through to the second round, the team looks good and has been playing exceptionally well recently. I am also glad the gave Benni the boot - how can a striker be overweight and out of shape at the end of a season?

Phaezen

First Post
A shade over 23 Hours till kick off of the opening game.

:lol:

The excitement levels here in South Africa are crazy, even many of the nay-sayers are coming around.

There was a huge impromptu nationwide street party at Mid-day yesterday. I will try post some links later this evening.

Phaezen

First Post
IT is now 11 June 2011 in South Africa, 16 hours to kick off.

Some galleries of the build up to the World Cup:

Sport24

Sport24

Sport24

foot33.gif

Orius

Legend
I'll be a patriot and root for my country's team, USA! USA! USA!

Real patriots root for Team USA to lose. It's a matter of national pride, we're supposed to suck at soccer! :)

And then kick ass at every other competitive team sport. :]

Besides, why should Americans care about the World Cup when baseball season is heading into -ahem- full swing? That's more important! ;)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Americans should be proud of our history in the sport...not proud like Brazil or Spain or what have you, but we've done pretty well, all things considered.

Personally, I'm an Army Brat, and when I was 8, we were stationed in Stuttgart, Germany. At the time, the only "pee-wee" games in town were soccer (football) and football (American).

My Dad, being an MD, said no to the latter- especially since my best buddy broke his arm twice in one year playing it- so I took up soccer. I played mostly Fullback and Goalie.

Funny thing- at the time, there were only a few leagues, so American kids often got to play against the Germans, so I got good quickly. And I played it up through college, though only as an intramural sport- I didn't want to go on team trips because I was there for study, not sport.

By way of contrast, I found Hockey when we moved to Denver and got to see the Colorado Rockies (who later became the Devils, who, with the Stars, are my 2 teams to root for), Football didn't get my attention until I was in HS, I didn't pay attention to basketball until I was in college and David Robinson was drafted by the Spurs (I was in San Antonio), and I didn't become a fan of baseball until I was in law school. I was still damn good- the varsity players occasionally asked me to try out.

So Soccer holds a special place in my heart, and I was in tears when we lost to Brazil in the FIFA Confederations Cup last year...so GO USA!

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
I'm not a big fan of soccer, but I'm pulling for North Korea... and I hope the whole team defects after the end of their run. Coaches too. ;)

Remove ads