• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fifth Edition Foes Monster Book

The PDF's out? How cool!

I'm very, very glad that I got this. It's too early to say for sure, but I might like it better than the core MM.

hwx5J3q.jpg

Hmm..... Kind of sloppy that it doesn't specify whether the lava weird can grab multiole enemies with its bite or not (probably not, but should be included).

Otherwise, cool monster.

Also noticing that Necromancer Games uses immunities much more that WotC 5E critters.

Nebulous

Legend
Hmm..... Kind of sloppy that it doesn't specify whether the lava weird can grab multiole enemies with its bite or not (probably not, but should be included).

Otherwise, cool monster.

Also noticing that Necromancer Games uses immunities much more that WotC 5E critters.

It does say it, "Bite +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. one creature"

Nebulous

Legend
After browsing through this more, here is what i really enjoy, and this will either entice a lot of people or turn you off, depending on your tastes:

The monster variety through the Traits description is tremendous. Hundreds of new tactics are introduced, and it requires reading sometimes a paragraph or two of descriptive text to understand the ability and how it works. Early editions of D&D were like this too, before all combat abilities were moved to the stat block. This takes more time for the DM and if you're picking up the book and flipping straight to something to use, it could cause a hiccup.

On the plus side, and it's a big plus for me personally, you have more variety here than you could shake a stick at (I never understood that saying). It also makes it very entertaining to read.

Nebulous

Legend
So, the Fungus Gargoyle listed here is referenced to be in the original Fiend Folio, but I don't see it listed in the contents. Am I missing something?

iv7jkQl.jpg

S0j9p1c.jpg

Nebulous

Legend
And for comparison, for people who might not be familiar with the original 1981 Fiend Folio, here's some examples of the feel that the Necromancer was going for.

LjnT0MU.jpg

dtzUTcw.jpg

painted_klown

First Post
I so want this book!!!

These monsters look very cool, and look like they would be a lot of fun to play. I just hope they don't run into any legal issues, as I am waiting for the print version to be released.

Honestly, I am also really excited for their book of adventures as well. Hoping it, and their book of magic items aren't too far behind.

Nebulous

Legend
Not what I meant. Can it bite another creature while grabbling the first victim? Can it grabble this second victim as well? Like I said, probably not, but by the RAW, it can.

I think the statblock would have said Multiattack if it could do that, so no, you're right, it can't. And by the RAW it can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nebulous

Legend
I so want this book!!!

These monsters look very cool, and look like they would be a lot of fun to play. I just hope they don't run into any legal issues, as I am waiting for the print version to be released.

Honestly, I am also really excited for their book of adventures as well. Hoping it, and their book of magic items aren't too far behind.

I don't think there will be any legal issues. My wizard player is really looking forward to the spells. I'd love to start the next session with some brand new monsters and magic....

Remove ads

Remove ads