• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fifth Edition Foes Monster Book

The PDF's out? How cool!

I started playing DnD at 3.5. I have to ask... What does "1st edition feel" mean?

What should I look for or when should I say "Oh wow, this feels like the 1st edition!"?

Direct answers please, not answers comparing editions. Please I don't want to start an Edition war here. I'm happy in all 3.5, 4.0 and 5.0 - as long as I get to play DnD.

Sobran

Idiot Savant
The appearance on the page is reminiscent of first edition. There are no background textures, borders are simple, everything is black and white (save the cover). The stat blocks also look like those from first edition. Necromancer Games also tried to replicate the tricky feel of monsters in early editions, as I touch on in my impressions piece. Mimics, if you are familiar with them, are a creature that stems from that first edition mentality. Not all of the creatures are "gotchas", nor even most. However, this book doesn't shy away from using some really odd mechanics on some of their creatures. These things keep them from being a bag of hit points with an axe.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I started playing DnD at 3.5. I have to ask... What does "1st edition feel" mean?

What should I look for or when should I say "Oh wow, this feels like the 1st edition!"?

Direct answers please, not answers comparing editions. Please I don't want to start an Edition war here. I'm happy in all 3.5, 4.0 and 5.0 - as long as I get to play DnD.

Here's what Clark said back before we released Tome 1...

Clark Peterson : "First Edition is the cover of the old DMG (Dungeon Masters Guide) with the City of Brass; it is Judges Guild; it is Type IV demons not Tanaari and Baatezu; it is the Vault of the Drow not Drizzt Do'urden; it is the Tomb of Horrors not the Ruins of Myth Drannor; it is orcs not ogrillons; it is mind flayers not Ilithids (or however they spell it); it is Tolkien, Moorcock, Howard and Leiber, not Eddings, Hickman, Jordan and Salvatore; it is definitely Orcus and the demon-princes and not the Blood War; it is Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound not Elminster's Evasion; and it is Artifacts and Relics from the old DMG (with all the cool descriptions)."

Remove ads

Remove ads