D&D (2024) In Interview with GamesRadar, Chris Perkins Discusses New Books

Vaalingrade

Legend
When D&D Next launched - "final edition"
When 5e went public - "final edition"
When One D&D launched - "a pillar will be to update and maintain the final edition"
When they said it's just a UA for 2024 D&D - "it's still just D&D, fully compatible"

It's been 12 years of the same statements without a lie among them. Maybe we can believe them?
Not 'Final', Evergreen.

They were planning to let it rot on the vine with minimal support before streaming and covid saved the day.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You cannot claim that 5e is not objectively 5e or that 3e is not objectively 3e.
Well, no, I do claim exactly thst: by any objective measure, 3E isn't the third of anything, nor ia 5E the fifth of anything: even accepting the weird "AD&D-Only" counting method, those are the fifth and eighth iterations...and that's as low as they can go!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
didn't they say that some of the things that got rejected this time might well show up in the next iteration? If so that hardly makes that one more conservative than the current one.

Also, if the playtest polls decide what goes into the next version then there is no reason to believe that the versions will become successively more conservative
They are open to the possibility now, but...the effect of people doing things a certain way for 10 years made most of those things get rejected now: in 20, 30, 40, 50 years...? Even more people will have played those ways. I expect more changes will be narrative or related to evolving decisions mores, not rules.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, no, I do claim exactly thst: by any objective measure, 3E isn't the third of anything, nor ia 5E the fifth of anything: even accepting the weird "AD&D-Only" counting method, those are the fifth and eighth iterations...and that's as low as they can go!
Why do you insist on using an irrelevant definition of edition that is not used for RPGs? The ONLY definition that counts and matters is the RPG one that says that there are 5 editions. The half editions are not separate editions.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
As the focus will be incrementally and live updates to subscribed digital content, let's start acclimizating ourselves to:

D&D 5.1.0. (5th edition, minor new version, patch numbers to start incrementing once the errata start coming out for the 2024 revisions).

Or D&D 20240917.

Or, how about they take Apple's approach for evocative names. We can use chromatic and metallic dragons to distinguish versions. Since its the 50th anniversary, this is obviously the Gold Dragon version of D&D. In a nod to @Parmandur, we can use Gold Dragon (17.1.0).

In seriousness, I wish they would have just went with 50th Anniversary Edition. It worked with Mage the Ascension. Though, I think this would be a lot more controversial among the D&D fan base.

Personally, I'm fine dropping edition speak.

"Hi, I'm starting a new D&D campaign, want to join?"
"Which edition?"
"The current rules as given in D&D Beyond."
"Are they the same as those printed in my books?"
"No idea. Create a character in my campaign and you'll have access to all the rules through my D&D Beyond account."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why do you insist on using an irrelevant definition of edition that is not used for RPGs? The ONLY definition that counts and matters is the RPG one that says that there are 5 editions. The half editions are not separate editions.
Saying they "didn't count" as editions was just marketing BS, not really true. There is no objective definition for RPGs, because TSRbmade terrible decisions and WotC waffled on following their bad example for years. Ignoring edition terminology is also marketing BS, bit less egregious because it is juat throwing in the towl on a broken mess.

Remove ads