Fight vs warpriest: am I missing something?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Edit: the session has passed

Hello

So, I'm asking this because I've never "run" a cleric in 5e and I want the party to be challenged, and I want to be sure I'm not missing any obvious strategy.

The situation: The party is on a island town with cramped quarters. They are looking into a priest of the Elephant Demon Cult, an evil deity of hunger and rage. The priest is a war priest, and has 2 capable bodyguards with him (A skilled warrior (veteran template?) and an albino bezerker). He might have 1-2 extras low-level types with him to round out his crew. The priest has no reason to suspect the party specifically, but he's on his guard because he's put a bounty on someone with a big reward, ergo he has a lot of money on him. Given that the town is relatively lawless, an attempt to rob him is plausible. The party is philosophically opposed to the Cult of the Elephant Demon, have an easy way to get out of town fast, and probably are interested in this big reward. The PCs may decide *not* to get involved, but a fight is probable. If they do, it will be a hard fight.

The party is level 5, with a paladin (oath of the ancient), monk (open hand), cleric (knowledge) and warlock. The evil priest will be level 7-9 (haven't decided yet)

My "sketch" of a battle plan: Given the cramped quarters, the fight is likely to be on a street or a medium sized room. The priest will therefore use spirit guardian to do AoE damage on party and slow them down. Bonus actions will be used to cast/use spiritual weapon, shield of faith and healing word to bring his body guards back up. He'll back up their attack with that +10 bonus a war-priest can grant.

The choice of what concentration spell to use is pretty important. Is this battle plan sound, or am I missing something pretty obvious?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The chest with the bounty has a teleport trap on it, to 50 feet above the rocky shore.

Also, the war priest needs some lookouts in town to let him know when a group of adventurers shows up. Especially if they look like they're non-NPC classes...

Sacrosanct

Legend
When I played my tempest priest, having spiritual guardians and spiritual hammer up was a go-to tactic. However, I also was using reactions to inflict lightning damage and moving opponents, which a war priest won't have. So Caliban's idea is pretty sound.

Simonb1

Explorer
Do not forget about Bless or Bane for a concentration spell along with Shield of Faith.

Also any AOE's?

Also consider Guiding Bolt, 4d6 damage and advantage on one attack before your next turn.

Does the Priest have an escape route lined up?

What are the NPC's equipped with?

Anyway scare your players before they win and have a good game.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Set up a two-stage fight.
First the PCs run into him and his entourage out on a street or marketplace or something. Wild melee ensues.
He sends the tough guys (cannon fodder?) forward and supports them with his special abilities, classic Controller style. The bodyguard is an Artillery until the Boss needs protected from PCs.

The warpriest decides to retreat to his temple / whatever, either (1) to hide from the victorious PCs or (2) to bind his wounds and prepare for Round Two: My Knockout Blow. We assume the PCs pursue, either (1) to finish him off or (2) to pressure him and give away no time. This fight might begin in the big common room of the building; it moves towards / into his personal office.
He can drink potions and/or cast ritual(s) on himself and/or stand in a permanent Sanctuary circle on the floor and/or things like that, which will take care of his defensive preparations for him - allowing him to go 100% offense. If the Bodyguard survived, he is used as cannon fodder to protect the Boss.

It sounds like you mostly have the right idea spirit guardians is really powerful. The +10 bonus is amazing and you have the option of two attacks. Spiritual weapon is there. Mass healing word can be nasty as a bonus action. Guiding bolt can give one of your mooks advantage. It will be a nasty encounter for sure.

Remove ads