Fight vs warpriest: am I missing something?

maxed

Explorer
If the battle is close to the water, you can use Control Water and have a wave wash the party out to sea. Of course, the cleric would need to be on higher ground to not get washed away with them.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If the battle is close to the water, you can use Control Water and have a wave wash the party out to sea. Of course, the cleric would need to be on higher ground to not get washed away with them.
Because of the geography of the island that is extremely unlikely but thank you, it was a very good idea, keep them coming.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

hawkeyefan

Legend
It's a bit startling that there are no better 4rth or 5th concentration spell to have up...

Spirit Guardians is a great spell. If the war priest can cast a 4th or 5th level spell, have him cast Spirit Guardians at higher level. In close quarters, 5d8 damage per round to those near him is pretty solid. Especially when combined with Sanctuary and/or the Dodge action.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Spirit Guardians is a great spell. If the war priest can cast a 4th or 5th level spell, have him cast Spirit Guardians at higher level. In close quarters, 5d8 damage per round to those near him is pretty solid. Especially when combined with Sanctuary and/or the Dodge action.
Sheesh I hadn't considered that :O ... damn. I would almost worry that would be almost too powerful... 2-3 rounds of that would down most of the party!

hawkeyefan

Legend
Sheesh I hadn't considered that :O ... damn. I would almost worry that would be almost too powerful... 2-3 rounds of that would down most of the party!

Yeah, if your PCs are 5th level, a 5d8 Spirit Guardians could potentially take down many party members in 1 or 2 rounds, depending on their saving throw rolls. And then the danger for anyone who drops is that they'd still be in the area of effect, so they'd start accruing failed death saves pretty quick. That'd be trouble.

I'd leave it be at 3rd level, and have him use Spiritual Weapon and then cast Cure Wounds on his henchmen as needed. Only have him use Sanctuary or the Dodge action if he gets hit, otherwise, your PCs will have pretty limited chances to break his Concentration on the Spirit Guardians.

I think that would be a fair approach; you'd be playing him competently, as a dangerous foe, but not so fully optimized to make him beyond the PCs. Play it up as him being overconfident in his abilities.

If things go poorly for your PCs, make it so that he wants to take them prisoner to find out who sent them after him rather than a TPK.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

If they insist on going toe-to-toe with him and don't get healed, sure. If they back off in different directions and switch to AoE's and ranged attacks, eventually he'll fail a concentration check. Or they might cast Dispel Magic on the Spirit Guardians. It's a strong tactic, but smart PC's can work around it.

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
Cast Spirit Guardians, then spend your rounds dodging?

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

If you want him to be a killer cast spirit guardians then cast inflict wounds each round.

It is 3d10 on a single target + the guardians

Stat him like a PC. Give him warcaster feat so his guardians are not broken easy. allow him to display his holy symbol on a shield.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
What I'm wondering is if the PC cleric will cast spirit guardian too. In that case, I will have to describe a showdown between the Demon Elephant and the Tree of Memory...

Remove ads