• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter feat progression...

Datt

First Post
I would second the Power Attack, Cleave route. I could have used it 5 times last Saturday alone. Then when you get a little higher get Great Cleave.

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Weapon Specialization: Glaive, Power Attack, and Cleave.

Weapon specialization is a very good feat--more damage is better.

Power Attack is actually more useful than cleave at higher levels--it enables you to do massive amounts of damage to anything with a poor AC.

Cleave is also very very useful if you regularly face multiple enemies.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Weapon Specialization. You're a Fighter, it's a class advantage, use it. And I'm totally with the Glaive-lovers here, except I have a Psychic Warrior so I use Stand Still instead of Movement Check.

Jotun

First Post
I'm a fighter with a reach weapon and Combat Reflexes. At 4th level, I took the Improved Unarmed Attack Feat. I kept having opponents step to me and they'd be safe from my AoO's. It was really pissin' me off.

I also got the Path of the Sword book for my birthday. It's one of the Legends and Lairs books from Fantasy Flight. I really like it. There's a feat called Pressing Attack. If the opponent takes a 5' step out of an area that I threaten, I can automatically move with them to keep them in my threatened area.

If I had to do it over again, I think that I'd like to have Expertise and Improved Trip instead. Now that I have these feats, the DM doesn't make the enemy NPC's take 5' steps so much anymore.

The recommendation for Weapon Specialization is a good one. You already have the prerequisite feat, Weapon Focus. Get that feat, put two hands on the reach weapon and it'll make that 10 point damage threshold for Knockdown happen more often.

I like the idea of Cleave too. With a reach weapon, you could have more enemies to attack than if you only had a 5' threatened area. Also, you can continue to build on that feat chain with Great Cleave.

thegreatbuddha

First Post
Weapon Specialization at 4th, and knockdown at 6th. once I get a +1 weapon, I'll qualify for a Knockdown check everytime I hit :)

I also need some AC boosters. Right now I have a +1 Breastplate and a +3 Dex mod. my AC is 19 IIRC. Are there any good AC-boosting feats apart from Dodge & Expertise?

I was looking into Pressing Attack, as my opponents always seem to 5ft step and fire a heavy crossbow at me when they fail to reach me. Alas, I don't have the book, so my DM won't let me use it. Out of curiosity, does PA allow the 5ft step anytime an opponent leaves my threat range, or only if they 5ft step away and leave my threat range? If it's the former, I might have to get the book, since it would be great fun to 5ft step away from them when they try and close for melee combat :)

Remove ads