Level Up (A5E) Is "Look at me!" quite silly on a Marshall?

Valrei

Villager
Am I misunderstanding something or could I do the following as a level 8 marshal multiclassed with level 1 fighter? (or a higher level marshal or a feat or other means of being able to access 2 3rd degree maneuvers)
Use Combat directives to use one of your melee attacks to give an ally the ability to use Look at Me! for 2 exertion points and a reaction. They now get to attack twice (assuming they have multiattack) on the first attack, you trigger your own Follow up topple on their first melee attack which might knock the enemy down too. After all this, you still have your own second melee attack...
That's four attacks for 2 reactions, 1 action and 4 exertion points (Two of your own, two of your ally). Possibly 2 of which were with advantage due to them being knocked prone.
Also if you didn't need any other ally to run away without opportunity attacks you get a expertise die and you can walk away from that enemy without provoking if it didn't just get killed by you and the barbarian Berserker...

Is it just me, or does that sound quite strong?

Last edited:

Pedantic

Legend
Am I misunderstanding something or could I do the following as a level 8 marshal multiclassed with level 1 fighter? (or a higher level marshal or a feat or other means of being able to access 2 3rd degree maneuvers)
Use Combat directives to use one of your melee attacks to give an ally the ability to use Look at Me! for 2 exertion points and a reaction. They now get to attack twice (assuming they have multiattack) on the first attack, you trigger your own Follow up topple on their first melee attack which might knock the enemy down too. After all this, you still have your own second melee attack...
That's four attacks for 2 reactions, 1 action and 4 exertion points (Two of your own, two of your ally). Possibly 2 of which were with advantage due to them being knocked prone.
Also if you didn't need any other ally to run away without opportunity attacks you get a expertise die and you can walk away from that enemy without provoking if it didn't just get killed by you and the barbarian...

Is it just me, or does that sound quite strong?
I don't actually think it's particularly out of line. Presumably at those levels, if you were just trading those actions without spending exertion points, you'd still be getting 4 attacks, 2 for your action, 1 OA for each of your reactions.

Really, you've just spent some exertion for a bonus to hit and to simplify the OA trigger, which sounds pretty appropriate?

Valrei

Villager
I don't actually think it's particularly out of line. Presumably at those levels, if you were just trading those actions without spending exertion points, you'd still be getting 4 attacks, 2 for your action, 1 OA for each of your reactions.

Really, you've just spent some exertion for a bonus to hit and to simplify the OA trigger, which sounds pretty appropriate?
I guess that's true, still, feels like a beefy thing to do, third degree really ramps up from 2nd degree if you ask me. Was just looking at a Warding wield, flowing form, deflect strike combo 😁 (dodge, +2AC, anyone that misses you you can attack back, if they hit you you use deflect strike to reduce damage by profbonus d6, if that decreases it to 0 they miss and you get to attack them anyway) in my minds eye I see a heavily armoured fella in a field of goblins mowing them all down as they try to hit him.)

Thanks for the reply, seen from the perspective of being a (somewhat) high level character it does sound relatively fair. I mean I could allow my rogue another attack and that would probably deal more damage than 2 attacks of the barbarian berserker😅
Edit: unless the barb berserker crits of course

Last edited:

Remove ads