D&D General Fighter/Necromancer

Hey

I'm about to start a new character. I'm multiclassing fighter/necromancer.
What's a good name for a multiclass for this combo that's not just called fighter/necromancer?

A bustuarius (plural: bustuarii) was a kind of gladiator in Ancient Rome, who fought about the funeral pyre (Latin: bustum) of the deceased at a Roman funeral.[1][2][3]

Bustuarii were considered of even lower status than other gladiators whose fights were exhibited in public gladiatorial games.[4] Bustuarii are mentioned by Cicero in his Against Piso speech, criticizing Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus before the Senate and comparing Publius Clodius Pulcher to a bustuarius gladiator.[5][6][7] Tertullian, alleges in his treatise attacking ancient Roman religion in favour of ChristianityOn Spectacles – that the origin of gladiatorial games was these funerary rituals.[8][9] The word could also refer to a gravedigger or cremation attendant.[1][2][3]

At first, the practice was to sacrifice captives on the tomb, or at the bustum of warriors: instances of which are in Homer – at the funeral of Patroclus – and in Greek tragedy. Their blood was supposed to appease the di inferi or the manes, gods and spirits of the underworld, and render them propitious to the remains of the deceased. In later ages, this custom appeared too barbarous; and in lieu of these victims, they appointed gladiators to fight, whose blood, it was supposed, might have the same effect.

Dausuul

Legend
Death Knight. Reaper.
Death knight conflicts with a very nasty undead monster, but "reaper" is perfect IMO. Bonus points if you can convince your DM to let you wield a scythe (with glaive or greataxe stats maybe).

Grim champion? Pale knight? Deadlord? They could work, but none of them are as simple and evocative as "reaper." If it were me, that's definitely what I'd go with.

Other option could be to use the name of an undead creature from folklore.

A Fext is a mythical undead creature in Slavic mythology. Its origins are found in the terrors of the Thirty Years' War (17th century) in central Europe. It is said that the Fext is invincible to bullets, except bullets made of glass. Some of the great generals of that time were called Fexts because of their assumed immortality.

Upiór (Tatar language: Убыр (Ubır), Turkish: Ubır, Obur, Obır, (modern Belarusian: вупыр (vupyr), Bulgarian: въпир(văpir), вампир (vampir), Czech and Slovak: upír, Polish: upiór, wąpierz, wupi, Russian: упырь (upyr'), Ukrainian: упир(upyr), from Old East Slavic: упирь (upir')) is a demonic being from Slavic and Turkic folklore, a prototype of the vampire.[1] It is suggested that the Ubır (Upiór) belief spread across the Eurasian steppes through the migrations of the Kipchak-Cuman people, after having its origins in the regions surrounding the Volga (İtil) River and the Pontic steppes. The modern word "Vampire" derives from the Old Slavic language and Turkic form "онпыр (onpyr)", with the addition of the sound "v" before a large nasal vowel (on), characteristic of Old Bulgarian, as evidenced by the traditional Bulgarian form впир (vpir). (other names: onpyr, vopir, vpir, upir, upierz.)[2]

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
for this playstyle, I strongly suggest the apothecary, subclass reanimator, which can be found in Sebastian Crowe's guide to Drakkenheim.

Or just use that name, reanimator :)

Remove ads