D&D General Fighter/wizard

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Get people to do what they want...help them, tell them stuff...., detect stuff....

Sleuthesayer.

Oo! SootheSLAYer!

OO! OO! SLEUTHESLAYER!!

Kurotowa

Legend
So, putting aside theme and flavor for a minute, let's look at the mechanics.

Mechanically it's not a great fit. Enchantment spells want a high Save DC, which means you really want to focus on your caster stat. Divination spells don't have many good combat buffs besides Foresight, so they don't really compliment the Fighter parts. There are a lot of good spells to use for a Fighter/Wizard character, but most of them aren't Enchantment and Divination. And with no particular class feature that rewards using those spell schools over others, you're just limiting yourself for no reason.

If you're playing an edition where spell saves aren't caster dependent and you don't have to worry about Concentration, it might be more reasonable to play a multiclass gish who focused on Enchantment spells. In the context of 5e, though, it's not a good fit. Things look a little better if you switch to playing a straight Sword Bard or Bladesinger Wizard, instead of the multiclass build. A character like that would still be pretty gish-like but have better spellcasting to support the theme. Or if you want to go the other direction, and be mostly weapon focused with only a little enchanting going on, there's Arcane Trickster Rogue.

ECMO3

Hero
So, putting aside theme and flavor for a minute, let's look at the mechanics.

Mechanically it's not a great fit. Enchantment spells want a high Save DC, which means you really want to focus on your caster stat. Divination spells don't have many good combat buffs besides Foresight, so they don't really compliment the Fighter parts. There are a lot of good spells to use for a Fighter/Wizard character, but most of them aren't Enchantment and Divination. And with no particular class feature that rewards using those spell schools over others, you're just limiting yourself for no reason.

This is thematics, in 5E the school of the caster chooses has little to do with the spells they cast, you don't even have to take a single spell from your school. So taking Enchantment or Divination does not limit you to those schools in any way.

The subclass is mostly about the abilities, on a Wizard dip for a fighter you are talking about the second level ability. So Hypnotic Gaze and Portent for Enchantment and Divination respectively. Hypnotic Gaze is not very good on a fighter, Portent however is. If you are playing an armored fighter I think Diviner is top tier, competing with War Wizard and Abjurerer.

pawsplay

Hero
Hey

I'm looking for any info and see if anyone has ever played a fighter/wizard multiclass that used specifically enchantment and divination?

How would one go about playing one and what would be a good name for that class?

I think "seer" fits. What were you thinking mechanically? In 5e I could see fighter 2/wiz, and just play as a "tough enchanter." Action surge is great.

Remove ads