• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter Question

Altharos

First Post
Fighter class training martial arts, master of the weapons. And phb page 75 said that;

Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged, military ranged.

But i have one question. All fighter power about of melee weapons. I think fighter use ranged weapons better than ranger. Because they disciplined training, spend all times on weapons. But why fighter doesn't have about ranged weapon powers?

abyssaldeath

First Post
Because that is not the role of a fighter. Don't let past editions influence what each class does. The ranged weapon Fighter is called a Ranger now.

LightPhoenix

First Post
It's because of the lack of ranged powers that Fighters get proficiency in simple and military ranged weapons, not the other way around. This way, Fighters can do something when faced with an enemy at range, even if it's only a ranged basic attack. The Fighter in my group didn't have any ranged weapons, and she ran into problems a couple of times where she simply couldn't do anything.

Dan'L

First Post
The ranged weapon Fighter is called a Ranger now.
Except for the Rangers who are melee....

I would LOVE to have a suite of power options available for fighters to make ranged attacks, or close bursts closer than 1. Just make them require thrown weapons, and you shouldn't be breaking the role too much. One at-will and one or two options per level would be great, and a PP or two to round it off.

I'd like to see something like this in Martial Power 2. Think it'll happen?

-Dan'L

abyssaldeath

First Post
Except for the Rangers who are melee....

I would LOVE to have a suite of power options available for fighters to make ranged attacks, or close bursts closer than 1. Just make them require thrown weapons, and you shouldn't be breaking the role too much. One at-will and one or two options per level would be great, and a PP or two to round it off.

I'd like to see something like this in Martial Power 2. Think it'll happen?

-Dan'L
Will it happen? Probably not, but it could work.

They would probably crate a new build just for that purpose. It would probably be heavy thrown weapon based and it's class feature could give a damage bonus to heavy thrown weapons when in chainmail or lighter. Also, it should change CC from a melee basic attack to a ranged basic attack or just include range basic attack for the heavy thrown build.

FireLance

Legend
The seeker (primal controller coming in PH3, previewed in Dragon 380) is a ranged weapon-wielding character who can have a defender secondary role. Some of those ideas might spill over into ranged defender powers for the fighter.

Turtlejay

First Post
I saw some hint in a Dragon article that Warlords are going to have ranged options, which I feel they could use. As for fighters being ranged, there are some methods, using a Heavy Thrown weapon and ranged basic attack works best, though Multiclassing into a class with ranged options also works. It can be tough if your ranged powers use a different attack statistic, but if you are still talking about your Drow Tempest Fighter, then your Dex might not be far enough behind your Strength to matter *too* much.

Jay

Altharos

First Post
No, no I don't talking about Drow Tempest Fighter, this is only example. I was just curious. I understand that;

Ranged defender not to best as melee defender (as the melee ranger striker better than ranged ranger's). Therefore ranged weapon wielding fighter's disadvantage although melee weapon wielding. But their advantage long range and to keep away herself from foes.

Destil

Explorer
You do have the option of the Trident/Tatalyr/Drow Long Knife fighter to at least get some basic marking done at range. Likewise there's a gladitator fighting style feat that lets you replace your auto-melee damage on cleave with a ranged basic that dosn't provoke. Between the two you can build a reasonable fighter who can inconvenience opponents at range.

But unless they give them the ability to make combat superiority attacks at range I don't think we'll be seeing an effective ranged fighter build. Without the melee threat to back it up marks are just an inconvenience.

EDIT: There's also an elf feat to let you use a bow for some melee stuff in Martial Power (opportunity or superiority attacks I think), but it's a really odd corner case and I don't see it generally being useful. Just nice to have when your multiclass ranger/fighter still has his bow out and something tries to run past.

Remove ads