• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter - Weapon Master archetype

Fellentos

First Post
Guys,

What do you think of this homebrew Fighter archetype? It is a combination of two other homebrew Weapon Master archetypes [1] [2]. It is intended to replace the Eldritch Knight and the Champion as a choosable archetype in my D&D campaign because I wanted specific non-caster options in the Fighter class. There are already so many caster options...

In my homebrew setting, all weapon related feats are banned. So I did work in some feat related abilities in this class instead without hopefully making it overpowered.

Version 1.0: Instead of a Weapon Style, you had to choose a Weapon Type (longswords, longbows etc.) but I figured this was too limiting and DM depended so I changed into Weapon Style, which is a lot like the Fighting Styles.

Weapon Master Archetype
Weapon masters strive to attain martial perfection with a specific weapon style. Their devotion to mastering that weapon style results in almost supernatural skill when wielding these weapons.

Weapon Style Specialization
At 3rd level, when wielding your weapon specialization, you have advantage on saving throws and checks to resist any effect that targets your weapon such as grease, heat metal, or shatter spells, as well as disarm attempts.
Choose a weapon style specialization:

• One-handed: If you roll a 1 on your damage die (or dice on a critical hit), you may re-roll the die. You must keep the result of the re-roll.
  • Two-handed: As a bonus action on your turn, you can increase your reach by 5 feet for the rest of your turn.
  • Dual wield: You can use your reaction to parry, gaining a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand. Also you can use dual wield even when the one handed melee weapons you are wielding aren’t Light and not have the Thrown property.
  • Ranged: You can use your ranged weapon to perform a Shove attack, using Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics). Also if it can be used in the off-hand you can attack with it as a bonus action (for example the light crossbow).
  • Thrown: You can draw a weapon with the "thrown" property as part of an attack you make it with, without spending your free object interaction. If you have multiple attacks, you can draw and throw a weapon for each one of them.
  • Shield*: If you take the attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you using your shield.
  • Chain*: As a bonus action on your turn, you can prepare yourself to extend your chained weapon to sweep over targets’ shields. Until the end of this turn, your attack rolls with a chained weapon gain a +2 bonus to hit against any target using a shield.
* Are not official properties, but necessary for this class.

Peerless Display (~)
At 7th level you gain the ability to put on a display of weapon handling that can challenge, confuse, or intimidate a foe. As an action, you create a display of impressive weapon skills targeted at one creature you can see within 30 feet. That creature must succeed at a Wisdom saving throw with a DC equal to (8 + your proficiency bonus + your ability modifier, see effect) or suffer one of the following effects (your choice);

• Challenge (Persuasion): The creature has disadvantage on attack rolls against anyone except you until the end of its next turn.
  • Confuse (Performance): You have advantage on your next single attack against the creature.
  • Frighten (Intimidate): The creature is frightened of you until the end of its next turn.
If the creature succeeds on its saving throw, you can't use this ability on it again until 24 hours have passed. Creatures with an Intelligence score below 3 are not affected by this ability. You can use Peerless Display twice before you need a short or long rest.
Starting at 15th level, you can use a bonus action to perform Peerless Display.

Weapon Style Mastery
Also at 10th level your weapon style specialization becomes a weapon style mastery. You can unlock special benefits with the mastery style, depending on the properties of the weapon itself.
Also, you can now select a 2nd weapon style specialization.

• Ammunition: You may recover all your expended ammunition when taking a minute to search the battlefield.
  • Finesse / Light / Versatile:
    • Dual-wield: Your AC increases by 2 against melee attacks.
    • One-handed: When you make an opportunity attack with the weapon, you have advantage on the attack roll.
    • Two-handed Versatile: You get a +2 bonus to damage.
  • Heavy**: When making the Shove special attack with this weapon, you gain advantage on the Strength check.
  • Loading: You ignore the loading property if you have a free-hand, or wielding the weapon with two hands.
  • Range: You gain no disadvantage when using this weapon beyond its normal range.
  • Reach: You may make an opportunity attack against a target that approaches your reach.
  • Thrown: The normal range of a thrown weapon is doubled, and the maximum range to four times the new normal range. When you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you do not have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn't incapacitated as long as the weapon is of the light or finesse type.
  • Two-Handed (Melee only): You score a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.
  • Shield: If you aren't incapacitated, you can add your shield's AC bonus to any Dexterity save made against a spell or other effect that affects only you.
  • Chained: When you hit with an opportunity attack using a chained weapon, the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier) or be knocked prone.
  • Special: You have no disadvantage or penalties using the weapon. Also if ranged, the range is doubled depending on the specific weapon type (consult with your DM).
**Not allowed for the Pike weapon (which also has disadvantage to hit on 5ft).

Focused attack
Moreover at 10th level, you gain the ability to re-roll a failed attack roll with your weapon style mastery once every long rest. If you do so, you must keep the result of the new roll. You can use this ability twice between long rests starting at 14th level, and three times between long rests starting at 18th level.

Grand Mastery
At 15th level, you are now a grand master with your weapon style. You gain a bonus +1 to hit with your weapon style, or a bonus +1 to AC if you chose shield. Moreover, enemies attacking you with your grand mastery weapon style, have disadvantage on hit or shove checks, unless you are surprised, or you can't see the enemy.
Also your 2nd weapon style specialization becomes a weapon style mastery.

Weapon Supremacy
At 18th level, you are virtually unparalleled in your weapon skill. You gain the following abilities.

• Melee Supremacist. if your grand mastery weapon is a melee weapon, you can use your action to make a single melee attack against each creature within your reach. You make a separate attack roll for each creature.
  • Ranged Supremacist. If your grand mastery weapon is a ranged weapon, pick a target point within range and make a single ranged attack against each creature within 10 feet of that point. You make a separate attack roll for each creature.

aco175

Legend
I would make Peerless Display a bonus action at 7th level and have it 1/rest. At 10th level make it 2/rest.

I like the weapon specialization powers, especially since I do not play with feats and some of these seem to copy the ones I hear about causing issues at some tables.

I would also think about allowing a duel-wield master to gain the full benefits of a shield (+2AC) and make 2 attacks. It steps on the fighter build with a shield and allows more attacks. You can make it a 1/rest power or 1/day power where it mimics the shield spell in certain aspects.

Overall I will like the final concept. I do like the champion powers where you critical on 19-20 and would think it fits in with this class but I would not want to take away that sole reason for taking that build. I would also like to see a build get 2nd wind 2/rest instead of just 1. Not sure if fits this build though. Even a power that lets you use hit dice healing in combat like a super 2nd wind.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
Excellent effort! In terms of flavour, which is a vital part of why we choose classes, I love it. Weapon mastery is desparately needed, and expressing it through a subclass build captures plenty opportunities to expand on the theme in lieu of using feats. I haven't dived into the minutia of combat lately, so I will just say I think you've done a good job following the game design balance in the progression of this class. Probably some tweaking needed as your creation gets play tested. Some choices seem more powerful than others, but I know that is tough to make everything perfect.

You know, I'm not clear why, but this reminds me very much of the weapon mastery rules in D&D BECMI :)

Here's some XP... :)

PS: similar to the Cookie Monster of Sesame Street fame, I am somwhat of a Homebrew/House Rules Monster, so I hope you don't mind if I gobble up your idea in my own game :)

Last edited:

Fellentos

First Post
I would make Peerless Display a bonus action at 7th level and have it 1/rest. At 10th level make it 2/rest.

I have thought about making Peerless Display a bonus action at 7th level, but I fear that's overpowered compared to similar abilities that the Barbarian (Intimidating Presence) and another class has that I can't remember. Don't you think?

I like the weapon specialization powers, especially since I do not play with feats and some of these seem to copy the ones I hear about causing issues at some tables.

I specifically tried not to copy the feat abilities that causes issues at the table. In my opinion those are the ones that give a lot of damage, and remove disadvantages. Perhaps I'm missing some other issues though?

I would also think about allowing a duel-wield master to gain the full benefits of a shield (+2AC) and make 2 attacks. It steps on the fighter build with a shield and allows more attacks. You can make it a 1/rest power or 1/day power where it mimics the shield spell in certain aspects.

The second wind ideas I'm not sure I could fit in this particular archetype, but perhaps there is another that can be created with those abilities? I have to think about it.

Overall I will like the final concept. I do like the champion powers where you critical on 19-20 and would think it fits in with this class but I would not want to take away that sole reason for taking that build. I would also like to see a build get 2nd wind 2/rest instead of just 1. Not sure if fits this build though. Even a power that lets you use hit dice healing in combat like a super 2nd wind.

This archetype was designed to replace the Champion in my game so that's why I incorporated that. You could also change the "Two-Handed" 10th level ability into "If it kills the enemy, the excess damage goes to an adjacent enemy / added to the next attack" (Cleave-like ability)

I'm thinking of removing the copied feat abilities, and make up alternative abilities for those. This way you can still use feats in the game. I am concerned about overpowered issues in that case though, but I have to theorycraft some more.

Fellentos

First Post
Excellent effort! In terms of flavour, which is a vital part of why we choose classes, I love it. Weapon mastery is desparately needed, and expressing it through a subclass build captures plenty opportunities to expand on the theme in lieu of using feats. I haven't dived into the minutia of combat lately, so I will just say I think you've done a good job following the game design balance in the progression of this class. Probably some tweaking needed as your creation gets play tested. Some choices seem more powerful than others, but I know that is tough to make everything perfect.

You know, I'm not clear why, but this reminds me very much of the weapon mastery rules in D&D BECMI :)

Here's some XP... :)

PS: similar to the Cookie Monster of Sesame Street fame, I am somwhat of a Homebrew/House Rules Monster, so I hope you don't mind if I gobble up your idea in my own game :)

No problem, go right ahead! I'm curious how it plays out. :)

Afrodactyl

First Post
I would add to Peerless Display that the creature must be able to see you as well as you seeing it. I don't imagine anything that's blind will be overly impressed regardless of how well you can juggle greatswords.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads