• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighter's Marking

TimeOut

First Post
No, because the creature must be targeted by an attack. Cleave targets only the first creature.

Every time you attack an enemy, whether the attack hits or misses, you can choose to mark that target.

Source: PHB, page 76, right side ("Combat Challenge").

Tuft

First Post
On the other hand, you can multiclass into Wizard, and when you reach paragon level, you can get yourself a nice at-will that allows you to mark everything within a Close Blast 3... every round. You don't even have to be good enough to actually hit with that power, either. ;)

Pbartender

First Post
Tuft said:
On the other hand, you can multiclass into Wizard, and when you reach paragon level, you can get yourself a nice at-will that allows you to mark everything within a Close Blast 3... every round. You don't even have to be good enough to actually hit with that power, either. ;)

You could do the same thing once per encounter at first level by making a Dragonborn Fighter.

Tuft

First Post
Pbartender said:
You could do the same thing once per encounter at first level by making a Dragonborn Fighter.

Yep, but marks only lasts for one round, so an at-will power is real handy for keeping the marks up during the entire fight.

gamesmeister

Explorer
Pbartender said:

Is that right? I thought you had to be performing a melee attack to mark, but the Dragonborn Breath attack is a Close attack, so couldn't be used to mark.

The fighter does have an encounter power (Tide of Iron I think) that allows 2 melee attacks, and therefore two marks

TimeOut

First Post
The description of combat challenge says nothing about melee attacks only.

Edit: Made my statement clear.

But what about the cleave issue? Yes / No? I am sure that combat challenge needs a target, so just dealing damage would not mark it. Or is that point of view wrong?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads