• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Film] Trailer: Predators

CrimsonReaver

First Post
So...am I the only one who thinks this looks like crap?

There's something about the setup, where they cycle through the characters and their 'bad-ass' background, that fills me with a mix of sadness, rage, and nausea. Watching the trailer, I can't help but wonder: "Is this based on a script by Paul W.S. Anderson?" Because it just reeks of craptacular videogame adaptation, where there's a tissue paper thin plot and the most generic characterization imaginable.

Admittedly, the original Predator didn't have much in the way of plot or character development, but you had legitimately imposing actors who absolutely looked the role; we didn't need any backstory and we didn't want any quiet moments of learning what the characters thought or felt, because just one look at those guys and we knew the sort of carnage that was coming and we were giddy for it. Plus, Schwarzenegger had a lot of charisma in those days and he could sell it like nobody's business. Adrien Brody? Topher Grace? Old and bloated Laurence Fishburne? Er, not so much.

Also, I have zero interest in seeing a Yakuza dude fighting a Predator with a katana. That's the sort of "You know what would be awesome?" idea that should have gotten dumped in the first rewrite.

So...yeah, aside from Walton Goggins (who'll probably be the first one dead), I'm just not as enthusiastic for this as I should be. Anyone else?

Krug

Newshound
Yeah the trailer and setup sounded lame. Like "lets use the laziest plot idea" ever. And Brody? C'mon..

coyote6

Adventurer
I read Dark Horse's prequel, and it was fine. If the movie is as good, then it should be better than the AvP movies.

Of the movie characters, only Brody's & Fishburne's characters are in the comic. Brody's character is a mercenary and a real piece of work; seeing him face off against predators ought to be interesting. Fishburne's character has survived for years on Predator Fun World.

Wolf72

Explorer
One of the characters on the trailer looked like one of the actors from the original Predator movie ...

A "what would be cool" seen would have to be a Jedi, c'mon now ... I grew up on star wars and now everything I see always puts in the back of my head "What if the protagonist were a skilled Jedi with lightsaber"

:)

Crothian

First Post
The premise is weak, the acting won't be stellar, but it will make a fine Satuday afternoon summer film. Sometimes the cliches work the best.

I feel no shame is being excited about Predators. I am also a sucker for the Alien and Predator franchise(s).

The lack of huge action scenes in the previews gives me hope that this one may turn out to be a (relatively) slow, suspenseful take on the concept. At any rate, it looks much better than AvP: Requiem.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
A "what would be cool" seen would have to be a Jedi, c'mon now ... I grew up on star wars and now everything I see always puts in the back of my head "What if the protagonist were a skilled Jedi with lightsaber"

You forget, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away!

qstor

Adventurer
It looked ok to me. I'll probably see it.

I don't think anyone posted the link

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8vZwvP57Y]YouTube - Predators Trailer[/ame]

Mike

CrimsonReaver

First Post
I think part of the reason the trailer disappoints me is that my expectations were unreasonably inflated. And I blame Rodriguez for that, saying how he titled the movie Predators to draw a parallel to Aliens. That trailer most definitely does not promise a similar caliber of awesome. At best, it looks closer in quality to Alien Resurrection. And that's not a good thing.

Remove ads