[The Le] comics-to-film reviews

Vigilance

Explorer
TheLe said:
Hence the 3/5 rating. Not show off, not falling behind. I think they are excellent starting movies, but definitely lacking when compared to other movies.

Keep in mind that Superman I was excellent, as was Blade I, and Batman Begins.

I can excuse X-men since it was a "team" movie, which can be harder since you have so many main characters, but there is no reason why Spider-man couldn't be better, especially when compared to the three movies I listed above.

`Le

Different strokes I guess. I thought Spider-Man was better than all three of those by a big, big stretch.

Again, Spider-Man's origin is much harder than batman's. IMO of course.

TheLe

First Post
Forgot:

Dick Tracy - 4/5 stars. An excellent translation from comic (strip) to the big screen, this highly stylized movie used bright colors to bring us a very colorful movie. The choice of actors is very good, but the time period may be a turn off for some.

The Phantom - 4/5 stars. A very good super hero movie for this time period, that is marred by some questionable actors to play the bad guys. Once again, the time period may be a turn off for some, but I enjoyed this movie quite a bit.

The Shadow - 4/5 stars. Baldwin did a great job at bringing this old radio classic to life, and the time period worked very well with the overall theme. Some of the "living dagger" parts were a bit wonky, as was rolling the atomic bomb like a toy, but the style and nature of the movie was alot of fun!

`Le

Glyfair

Explorer
TheLe said:
Nope. I am talking about the Justice League of America Pilot from 1997. Here you go:
I realized that eventually. My problem is that I had no idea it existed. And this is from someone who saw the pilot for the Destroyer tv series when it aired.

SWBaxter

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
He IS the X-Men's real leader, the one capable of pulling them all together and pushing them to be the best they can. The movies ended up giving this role to Wolverine because of how insanely popular the character is, but that's just not Wolvie.

I think the movies gave that role to Wolverine because Hugh Jackman could pull it off as an actor, whereas - hmm, whatsisname, lemme look it up... here we go, James Marsden - couldn't. Now, you could well argue that the major reason the producers got a decent actor to play Wolverine was because of his comic book popularity, but that decision was made long before X3 was a twinkle in anybody's eye. Once X3 rolled around with its inspiring speeches, there were only three people on the set who could've made that role work, and none of them were playing Cyclops. C'est la vie.

Klaus

First Post
SWBaxter said:
I think the movies gave that role to Wolverine because Hugh Jackman could pull it off as an actor, whereas - hmm, whatsisname, lemme look it up... here we go, James Marsden - couldn't. Now, you could well argue that the major reason the producers got a decent actor to play Wolverine was because of his comic book popularity, but that decision was made long before X3 was a twinkle in anybody's eye. Once X3 rolled around with its inspiring speeches, there were only three people on the set who could've made that role work, and none of them were playing Cyclops. C'est la vie.
Marsden did quite well as the good guy in Superman Returns, and the only reason Cyclops fell by the wayside in the X-franchise is that the writers didn't give him anything to work with, it was all "jean, jean, jean". I mean, in X2 they had N'Sync singing in Cyclops' car stereo! Marsden had to beg the writers and director to include some hand-to-hand combat for Cyclops when he's taken at Magneto's plastic prison, otherwise he'd have fallen without firing a blast at all.

TheLe

First Post
SWBaxter said:

A good theory, but unfortunately it is incorrect.

Actually, Ankh-Morpork Guard is correct -- the focus on Wolverine was quite intentional, and was done because he is the most popular character. The producers were quite open about the decision to focus on Wolverine. While I think Wolverine is highly overrated in general, I don't really blame them for focusing on Wolverine. I mean, geez, he's in every X-comic book AND the Avengers.

`Le

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There was also a Marvel approved TV show based on the X-Men...but while the powers were similar, the names were changed. It never looked good enough for me to watch.

There was also a Flash TV show back in 1991...quickly cancelled. It was one of the most expensive shows per episode to produce, dud to its super-speed effects.

I actually liked the Flash show, but it kept getting pre-empted by major sporting events, and even had its slot moved a few times to go against heavy hitters, so of course it failed.

SWBaxter

First Post
TheLe said:
A good theory, but unfortunately it is incorrect.

So Hugh Jackman wasn't cast as Wolverine in the first X-Men movie? Hmm, I'll have to go update Wikipedia, those guys are clearly way wrong.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
There was also a Marvel approved TV show based on the X-Men...but while the powers were similar, the names were changed. It never looked good enough for me to watch.

Was that Mutant X? I never could get into that one myself.

Dannyalcatraz said:
There was also a Flash TV show back in 1991...quickly cancelled. It was one of the most expensive shows per episode to produce, dud to its super-speed effects.

I actually liked the Flash show, but it kept getting pre-empted by major sporting events, and even had its slot moved a few times to go against heavy hitters, so of course it failed.

I liked that show quite a bit; I thought it was pretty high-quality stuff with strong acting and a superhero costume that actually looked good on screen (and was faithful). I'm pretty sure the whole series is out on DVD somewhere.

Remove ads