• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Climactic Battle: Help apreciated

iwatt

First Post
So finally the time has come. My campaign is going to end, and we've decided to do it in one climactic battle. I'm here to ask for help, ideas and opinions.

The campaign was actually handled with two groups, playing on different days of the week. For the last session we are all going to get together for a barbecue and then role-play the final encounter.

Setting:
Silver Marches

The Cast:

Team A
Corean: human Sorc6/Incantarix10
Branok: human Barbarian 10/ Uthgardt_Chieftain 5
Unter: half-elven Werebear Ranger 7
Progos: human Rogue5/Bard5/War Chanter5

Team B
Tarnak: human Cl15 of Uthgardt (war/strength)
Stor: human Br2/Rogue13
Shonal: Half Dragon (Human) Sorcerer 12

Two of the PCs have Leadership, with the following Cohorts:
Foldor: Dwarven Cl7/Ftr2/WarPriest 4
Illilian: Rogue2/Ranger8/Peerles Archer 3

The Setup:

The PCs have been on a Mcguffin quest for the last 8 levels. The Mcguffin in this case was to set free the spirits of four Legendary Uthgardt warriors who were sent on a quest centuries before. Of course, the spirits wouldn't ascend to Valhalla unless the PCs promised to complete the quest. The quest was recovering 4 of the lost Nether Scrolls. They finally completed it. In actuality these 4 Nether Scrolls when put together hold the location of the last resting place of Uthgardt, which can only be found by one of the ancient blood.

Both Teams recovered 2 scrolls each. They now reunited and started discovering the true secrets of the Uthgardt people and their ancestor mounds. Basically:

- Ages ago, Ancient worshippers of Selune asked the moon goddess to help them make the area of the Silver Marches inhabitable. She used her powers to create a Nexus of power points from which she could empower and keep this area warm.

- After centuries passed, Shar tried to bring down this nexus. Selune's followers asked for the help of the mightiest of Wizards, the Netherese, who created a central node from which to reinforce the Nexus points. They appointed one family of arcanists as responsible for this Central Node, and they hid the location in 4 of the Nether Scrolls (think National Treasure and the Declaration of Independence). The location of the Central Node is hidden in these 4 scrolls and can only be unlocked by one of the ancient blood.

- After the fall of Netheril, the family dwindled, and the Selunite defenders were all that were left to defend the Nexus points.

- Once again Shar attempted to destroy this symbol of Selune's power, this time by harnessing a massive Horde of orcs, giants and goblins. In this time of need a Champion of Tempus came to the aid of the Selunite High Priestess. They battled against the horde for decades, moon priests and barbarian raiders against one of the greatest horde's ever known. At the end, both champions fell, but their cause was taken up by their love Child, a man who grew to become an Epic Warrior: Uthgardt. Uthgardt tok it upon himself to continue with his aprent's tasks, and after protecting the 4 scrolls, he ordered for them to be hidden. To ensure the protection of the Nexus points, Uthgardt ordered his children, to bury their hereos in these points. The spirits of the dead warriors would be tied to these sacred points and in this way he could guarantee that his trust would be kept, and someone would always be there protecting the Nexus points, which came to be known as Ancestor Mounds.

-Since the PCs were tasked to release the spirits, they unwittingly called to themselves the attention of Shar. In a cunning ploy, she has followed the PCs, and has set them up for her to lead her to the Central Node. She accomplished this by having her most powerful servants and allies capture Team B, and sending agents to impersonate them.

- The final scene will be for the Real Team B to arrive right after the impostors have sprung their trap and have started the ritual to destroy the central point.

What I need help with is coming up with an appropriate threat for each of the PCs. I'd like to go with the OoTS model of each player fighting against his nemesis, but I'm not sure whether I should stat them out at equal Challenge rating or not.

- Corean's nemesis would be a Lich. I'm not sure whether to make him CR 16 or 15. I'm pretty much going to make him really annoying: an Improved Counterspelling Lich Sorceror.

- Branok's nemesis I'm not sure what to make out. I'm thinking a demon of some kind would work well, although I could see him fighting King Obould as well. (One of Shar's patsies).

-Progos has had a long standing enmity with an Assassin servant of Shar. I'm pretty sure he'd enjoy finally bringing him down. Thing is, Progos is pretty much an opportunistic fighter, not really able to lay down the smack as well as a DM optimized assassin can. So I'm not sure at what level to peg his opponent.

- Unter is going to have his showdown with an Orc wereboar berzerker he has been trying to hunt down for a long time now.

- Tarnak is frothing at the mouth to take on a Malarite werewolf Druid who has hounded him from day 1. It's cleric versus Druid time :D

- Stor is a sneak attacking mobile fiend. I use the auto flanking rule from Iron Heroes. But I'm coming up empty with whom to threaten him with. He doesn't have any backstory NPCs to dig out (lazy player ;) ). So any ideas here would be greatly appreciated

- Finally, I'm drawing a blank with Shonal. The PCs have been fighting the Fey'ri, who have been helping out Shar in her plans. What would be a credible threat for a half-dragon sorcerer 12?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
iwatt said:
- Finally, I'm drawing a blank with Shonal. The PCs have been fighting the Fey'ri, who have been helping out Shar in her plans. What would be a credible threat for a half-dragon sorcerer 12?
A famous Fey'ri dragon hunter, wearing dragon-skin armor (of the same type of dragon as the PC) and weilding a dragonbane sword?

Delemental

First Post
Wow, it seems like you have most of it worked out already. But here's my two cents:

iwatt said:
- Stor is a sneak attacking mobile fiend. I use the auto flanking rule from Iron Heroes. But I'm coming up empty with whom to threaten him with. He doesn't have any backstory NPCs to dig out (lazy player ;) ). So any ideas here would be greatly appreciated

Well, if you want to make him sweat, how about some sort of undead or construct that can't be sneak attacked? Or, given the theme of the campaign, some sort of corrupted Uthgardt barbarian with Improved Uncanny Dodge? Without a back story, you're not going to get a "personally rewarding" enemy, so "tactically challenging" might be the way to go.

iwatt said:

Hmm, hard to say for sure without knowing more about Shonal - sounds as though Shonal, like Stor, doesn't have any really glaring enemies from his history. Since this plot is led by Shar, what about some sort of Shadow Weave caster?

iwatt

First Post
Delemental said:
Wow, it seems like you have most of it worked out already. But here's my two cents:

Well, I have been settiing this up for a long time. The Campaign has been going on for about 3 years now.

Delemental said:
Well, if you want to make him sweat, how about some sort of undead or construct that can't be sneak attacked? Or, given the theme of the campaign, some sort of corrupted Uthgardt barbarian with Improved Uncanny Dodge? Without a back story, you're not going to get a "personally rewarding" enemy, so "tactically challenging" might be the way to go.

I like the dark uthgardt idea. Maybe a follower of Shar. any PrC worthy of checking out.

Delemental said:
Hmm, hard to say for sure without knowing more about Shonal - sounds as though Shonal, like Stor, doesn't have any really glaring enemies from his history. Since this plot is led by Shar, what about some sort of Shadow Weave caster?

The thing is, Team Bs enemy has mostly been the Malarite druid. And BTW, Shonal is a she ;)

I like the idea of a caster, (I'll have enough melee enemies already). Shonal has a distinct hate for cold (she's a brass dragon), so maybe go with a Cold based fey'ri sorceror? I could still give her some dragonhunter tools :D

Delemental

First Post
iwatt said:
The thing is, Team Bs enemy has mostly been the Malarite druid. And BTW, Shonal is a she ;)

I like the idea of a caster, (I'll have enough melee enemies already). Shonal has a distinct hate for cold (she's a brass dragon), so maybe go with a Cold based fey'ri sorceror? I could still give her some dragonhunter tools :D

You know, I almost used 'she'. Need to trust my instincts more. :)

The cold-based fey'ri sounds like a plan. You could check Frostburn (if you have it) for a good PrC.

I know that that Complete Mage has a feat for casters (I'm AFB, and can't remember the name of the feat) that gives them Favored Enemy-type bonuses. This feat, focused on dragons, might be appropriate.

Remove ads