Final Fantasy (Recruiting)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
So, my first idea didn't go over too well (too complicated I guess). I would still like to DM a PbP so I'm going to try again with something a bit simpler.

Basic idea is to translate the original Final Fantasy game to the BECMI rules (Rules Cyclopedia with a couple of house rules specifically).

Before I go into too many specifics, first I want to make sure there is sufficient interest. I'd like to have at least four players (the Warriors of Light) with additional players supporting the quest (and taking over the role of Light Warrior if a player should drop out).

So, what do you think?

doghead

thotd
Hello. I just wanted to welcome you to the world of PbP and wish you luck.

I think you might be right about your first idea. It was rather complicated. This idea seems much less daunting.

However, you might want to sell it a little more. Here are three suggestions:

1. Provide a descriptive spiel. Not everyone (myself included) has played FF. Paint a picture of the game you have in mind. A good spiel sparks the imagination and gives the reader a context into which they can start to frame their character inspirations. Crib off the back of the game cassettes, or CD's or whatever. Raid wikipedia, or finalfantasy.wikia. Snag a image off the web.

2. Outline the basic character generation rules. Are you planning to start at first level? Probably a bit restrictive for a game based on an anime style video game. Point buy, dice roll, Ouija board? What about a iconic weapon or item for each character? From what I remember of the movies and various images in game magazines, they all seemed to have a cool weapon or bit of kit.

3. While the Rules Cyclopedia is available for USD10, if it isn't crucial, perhaps consider using one of the free to download OSR/retro clones like Swords and Wizardry or Legend. Or one of the FF fan systems. [MENTION=2067]Kamikaze Midget[/MENTION] has his Final Fantasy Zero rules here. Although this is a trade off, a system that better suits the setting vs one which more people are familiar with (and is probably simpler to master). Anime D20?

Anyway, hope this helps.

thotd

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Thanks for the pointers. :D

I'm probably going to let this one die and take another stab at something else in the new year. World of Darkness is more my style (hence the name) anyway.

doghead

thotd
You are welcome. I hope that they help.

There are not so many WOD games around any more. There used to be at least a couple at any one time. WOD games usually run quite well - people who like them usually like the interaction as much as the combat, and wrote great posts.

Whatever you decide to go with, my advice would be to keep it small to start. The introduction adventure in the Vampire book, IIRC, could sustain a PbP game for a year. If the game survives until its conclusion, you can always build on it.

And where its an option, go with the simplest system that does the job.

thotd

Remove ads