• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Fantasy X - blitzball woes

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I'm getting creamed in blitzball. All I seem to be able to do is help other teams get lots of experience ponits so I can lose even more the next time around.

I am currently playing with my original players and I haven't swapped anyone out yet. I do have the Ject Shot, which seems to help build a greater sense of anti-climax and loss as I use the 120-point move and have the goalie block it anyway. My players are incompetant at defense and the opposing teams tend to face one or two guys while I am swamped by two or three players at a time.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just suck?

Enkhidu

Explorer
Instead of trying to get the ball by the goalie, try knocking the goalie out with a Nap shot. Then quickly grab the ball and score as soon as possible - with no goalie, its even possible to do a cross field shot.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Blitzball, easily the worst mini-game to date.

One, get rid of the original team, they all suck. :)

Two, get Brother on your team. He's an incredible front man and pretty good on defense. He's also extremely fast.

Three, try and find a good goalie. There's on in particular whose name I can't remember that's really good.

Four, make sure to try and learn techniques, especially the key techniques for each player so they can learn all of them (the key techniques each unlock more techniques to learn). Nap Shot and Jecht Shot are your best bets offensively, and Venom Pass and Nap Pass are good moves if you know you're going to be blocked. Nap Tackle and Venom Tackle are good defensive skills, and make sure all your defenders and goalie have Anti-Nap. The technique that reduces the ball's drag (and lowers values) is pretty good too, especially for Tidus. I'm not a big fan of the Wither moves, though they can be decent on defense.

Hopefully someone with a little more recent experience can jump in, as it's been quite a while since I've played.

drothgery

First Post
I don't think I ever played Blitzball when I didn't have to, and I discovered that the negative consequences of losing when you have to play are pretty minimal. So I ignored that mini-game.

reiella

Explorer
Blitzball is critical to obtaining some of Wakka's weapons, and a number of other nice toys.

With the Jecht Shot, the thing is to remember, don't bother using it if you're just going to break past all the defense, if you have one or two left, use it. Elsewise, it is a waste of a shot.

The original team is tough to play (and win) with, although there are rewards for doing so (Auroch's Spirit is fun, and it makes Auroch's Reels alot funner), and Keepa eventually has the best Shoot in the game, yes, even better than Brother :). If you're just going after specific items though, make your own team. Don't worry too much about 'helping' teams level up faster, that really only comes into effect for the half, every team gets 'adjusted' at the end of each game to a specific level (ie, the Goers are almost always 2 levels above you). As said, to beat goalies with seemingly impossibly high catch, use nap shot to knock them out then shot the ball. Nap techniques are horrendously overpowered in this game, so be sure to load up on them. Make sure everyone on your team has Nap Tackle at least (Sans your goalie), and make your MF obtain nap pass line early on.

You can very easily win the game if you select the best players for different levels and some 'cheats', find out when Nimrook's contract is about to expire and play games with them until the next game would have his contract expire. Then save, and play the game, if Nimrook doesn't get retired, reload, replay until he does. He is quite possibly the best goalie in the game.

Also, be sure to check out gamefaqs :).

Last edited:

alaric187

First Post
I've played through FFX 2.5 times. I always have the same thing happen.

1) Start playing biltzball in-game. Lose by 1 goal to Luca.
2) Start playing biltzball mini-game. Get killed for 5-7 games.
3) Sign Brother. Get killed for 2-3 more games.
4) Have 2-3 even games with other teams.
5) Limit myself to 10 goals/game on the other team for all other games.

So, you will get killed for a while, but after about 10 games the tables turn drastically. Then it becomes like the McDonalds commerical, i.e. off that defender, pass to left wing, sphere shot, nothing but net.

Alaric

drothgery

First Post
I guess it's just really hard for me to imagine anyone having the patience to play blitzball when you don't have to. Nice gear for Wakka just ain't worth it.

reiella

Explorer
drothgery said:
I guess it's just really hard for me to imagine anyone having the patience to play blitzball when you don't have to. Nice gear for Wakka just ain't worth it.

Hehe, I played Blitz for over 100 hours 'for fun' on my first run through FFX. I'm just an oddball :).

My current game, I'm sticking with the original Auroch's throughout the entire game, and it isn't too bad. Nap Shot to deal with Nimrook, and pretty much the others just get trumped by Wakka and Tidus.

LightPhoenix

First Post
drothgery said:
The funny thing is, when I played through I did the bare minimum of "side-quests" and raising - and I found that I don't need anyone besides Tidus, Auron, and Yuna. Lulu got subbed in for the occasional magic-vulnerable monster (the elements come to mind) but otherwise the three of them could handle everything. Tidus hit flying enemies almost as well as Wakka did.

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
reiella said:
Hehe, I played Blitz for over 100 hours 'for fun' on my first run through FFX. I'm just an oddball :).

My current game, I'm sticking with the original Auroch's throughout the entire game, and it isn't too bad. Nap Shot to deal with Nimrook, and pretty much the others just get trumped by Wakka and Tidus.
My buds hated that mini-game, too. I love it. Played it just to play it many times. I recruited maybe one player the whole game, figured my guys were better and went that way. Whoever said that after 10 games it gets a little easier was right, but I didn't use ringers. :)

I just put the movement on manual, kept feeding the ball to Tidus and won games that way. Fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads