• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Finally got the 4e core books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Trent

Explorer
Due to a lot of issues I am only now getting the 4e Players Handbook and DM's guide. Because I wanted to look them over without anyone else's opinions swaying me, I have avoided any reviews or discussions concerning them here or anywhere else. Now that I have given them a good read I have decided that WOTC sure put one over on me and anyone else that bought these books; I mean, what is so special here that it required a whole new edition, or is any kind of real improvement? I was seriously disappointed in what I found.

I realize that similar threads, both pro and con the new edition, probably exist but I've started this one so people can update me where the discussions have gone. Does there seem to be an overwhelming thought process in either direction?

Ginnel

Explorer
I mean, what is so special here that it required a whole new edition, or is any kind of real improvement?

It seems like you are saying you can't see the difference between the previous edition and the current one.

Major differences that I can see

classes are now more balanced there is no excessive power difference between them.

Everyone uses the same power system and gains powers at the same speed.

Magic items aren't your character, thats your class this is now the major source of your powers.

The Challenge rating system has been refined into an xp and level one for monsters making encounter building that little bit easier.

Monsters don't require strict templates and leveling to get appropriate challenges just look at the advised stats and pick and choose some powers from other creatures (you could do this in the previous edition though it wasn't spelt out for you)

Iterative attacks have gone in a hope to speed up combat (I think it helps and has worked)

Saving throws as you knew them have gone every attack is against a defence now, saving throws exist for all ongoing effects a 10+ saves.

Healing surges now enable parties to be fully healed pretty much before any fight, together with encounter and at-will powers parties unless in dire circumstances will be fighting at 80%-100% of their power in any given fight making it easier for the DM to create challenging encounters.

Weapons and armor these basics are now more balanced there isn't really (yet again in my opinion) a clear favourite so all varieties should see use.

And there are more as well.

questing gm

First Post
Due to a lot of issues I am only now getting the 4e Players Handbook and DM's guide. Because I wanted to look them over without anyone else's opinions swaying me, I have avoided any reviews or discussions concerning them here or anywhere else. Now that I have given them a good read I have decided that WOTC sure put one over on me and anyone else that bought these books; I mean, what is so special here that it required a whole new edition, or is any kind of real improvement? I was seriously disappointed in what I found.

I realize that similar threads, both pro and con the new edition, probably exist but I've started this one so people can update me where the discussions have gone. Does there seem to be an overwhelming thought process in either direction?

So far, the highlights about the rules that I've followed so far are the Skill Challenge DC and the Stealth rules (which have both been addressed and updated in the D&D Updates and the D&D Compendium respectively). B-)

You could also check out Stalker0's variation of the Skill Challenges (see his sig above) which were done before the Update (nice job, btw). ;)

However, the best reviewer is yourself and the best time to review is by running it. ;)

Last edited:

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
I mean, what is so special here that it required a whole new edition, or is any kind of real improvement? I was seriously disappointed in what I found.

Disappointed? Fair enough--to each his own.

But questioning whether the changes warranted a whole new edition? Am I misunderstanding you, or are you kidding? 4E is the most radical overhaul of the rules in the history of the game. Maybe you don't feel it was worthwhile--again, fair enough--but how could they possibly have made changes on this scale without shifting to a new edition?

Turanil

First Post
Due to a lot of issues I am only now getting the 4e Players Handbook and DM's guide. I was seriously disappointed in what I found.
You could sell them on ebay.

There is a lot of great games out there, including sticking with 3.5...

Jhaelen

First Post
I mean, what is so special here that it required a whole new edition, or is any kind of real improvement?
This baffles me a bit. Did you not get the impression the game was sufficiently different to warrant a new edition?

One of my players after skimming over the 4E PHB for a minute or two asked 'So what's new except the art is like crap now?'.
But I'd have thought that after 'giving it a good read' you should notice many and significant differences.

The differences are very pronounced. If this were not the case then there wouldn't be as huge a split in the fanbase. I can agree that I don't see 4E as an improvement but thats a separate issue from calling it the same as 3.X
The thought process from most discussions here have been that it is indeed a very different game that appeals to some groups of players and is not so well thought of by others. To be fair though, you should at least play a session or two before passing judgement. A game system isn't a novel and you can't really get all there is out of it by simply reading.

If you look then you should find numerous threads about first play experiences and impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads