• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Financial Aid for College

Technomancer

First Post
I'm going back to college this spring to finish my Bachelor's, and I'm trying to find sources of financial aid other than loans-grants, scholarships, etc. My google-fu is weak though. When I try to find anything, all the student financial aid websites I'm finding are a lot like adult websites-the description sounds good but when you go to it it's just a page of links to other pages, which may contain even more links, and you just can't get to the good stuff. Either that, or it's for some scholarship where you have to write some goofy essay that MAY get you a few hundred dollars if they pick yours over however many other people are also going for it.

Anyone know where I should start looking?

Seonaid

Explorer
Talk to your college. The financial aid office is there for that purpose. It might not be able to help you directly, but it's a good start. You could also try your former school (if it's not the same one) and your high school. If you have any relatives who graduated from your college, check to see if there's any scholarships or things for relatives of graduates. Good luck with it. I'm going back to school as well, so I know what you're going through. :)

ssampier

First Post
Other than loans and grants, what are you looking for? There is student work-study, but that's all I can think of. For grants, you're a bit late to apply for spring; most monies are already been allocated. You'd have to fill out your FAFSA in January for Fall 2007. Loans are different and can generally be taken anytime. Fill out your FAFSA.

Granted you will have to pay that money back, but the rates are low and repayment schedule is reasonable. It's an investment in your future (man I sound old when I write that).

Technomancer

First Post
ssampier said:
Other than loans and grants, what are you looking for? There is student work-study, but that's all I can think of. For grants, you're a bit late to apply for spring; most monies are already been allocated. You'd have to fill out your FAFSA in January for Fall 2007. Loans are different and can generally be taken anytime. Fill out your FAFSA.
That's just it, I can't find any information about grants and how to get them. I had no idea I'd have to apply so early, or even how to apply for them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Technomancer said:
That's just it, I can't find any information about grants and how to get them. I had no idea I'd have to apply so early, or even how to apply for them.

Every college and university has a financial aid office. Talk to them, in depth. They are often experts at helping you find aid, and they are aware that it is in their own best interests to do so.

ssampier

First Post
Technomancer said:

The most common grant in my experience is the Pell Grant. This is FREE money the federal government gives to needy students (ie you have to be disadvantaged according to a Federal Income level). Your parents income is considered, too, if you are under 24 and not married.

Fill out your FAFSA now. After filling out and waiting an X amount of time, your school should send you an award letter saying how much money you can use.

Granted you're a bit late to apply for grants this school year (2006-2007). Talk to your financial aid office, they may be able to pull some strings or find need-based or unusual scholarships, "I'm the great great nephew of a shoe-string collector? I get $1500 of shoe-string money?! All right!"

For those they don't have this address etched in your head:
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

jeff37923

First Post
Don't forget to look at Tax Credits! The Hope Tax Credit will allow you to get a majority of your taxes back while you are in college, it only lasts for two years - but that sure did help me out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads