How to Do Your Own Legal Research: Worried about the OGL?

S'mon

Legend
The university that I work for just recently opened a law school. I wonder if I could wangle access, as a support tech? ;)

You may well have access to Westlaw via your University Library website, then. Certainly I can access scientific databases et al with my University ID, despite not being a scientist.

Ryujin

Legend
You may well have access to Westlaw via your University Library website, then. Certainly I can access scientific databases et al with my University ID, despite not being a scientist.
I've been using CanLii for criminal case research and eLaw (an Ontario specific site) for Provincial Statute lookups up until now. My current manager used to be the tech support manager for the Law Society of Upper Canada (aka Ontario), So when I go back on-site, I'll ask if he knows the Canadian equivalent of Westlaw. He's been sucking up to the law school peeps.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Rules.
In addition to cases, there are rules. Rules of Procedure for the Courts (both state and federal) and internal operating procedures for the courts (both state and federal). In addition, there are Rules of Evidence (again, both state and federal) as well as other rules that might come into play (administrative orders for the court, etc.). The good news is that these are almost always available on-line. Let’s take a hypothetical example- You have a federal case in the Central District of California. That’s a federal case.

The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure are available at many cites, including the US Government and Cornell’s Legal Information Institute.

The Local Rules of the Court are available on the Court’s website. All of these things are available to you!

Finding the rules on-line is usually fairly easily.
And the individual rules for the federal judges. This judge requires mandatory chambers copies to be delivered directly and will tweak your noses as he tosses the copy into the trash if you leave it in the drop box. This other one will set you on fire if you don't leave it in the drop box. Almost like toddlers these federal judges and their requirements.

As an aside, I've never asked anyone this, but is there an actual reason for the blue back requirement? Or was blue just someone's favorite color when the rules were written?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
And the individual rules for the federal judges. This judge requires mandatory chambers copies to be delivered directly and will tweak your noses as he tosses the copy into the trash if you leave it in the drop box. This other one will set you on fire if you don't leave it in the drop box. Almost like toddlers these federal judges.

As an aside, I've never asked anyone this, but is there an actual reason for the blue back requirement? Or was blue just someone's favorite color when the rules were written?

Ugh. Blue backs. Are you in California?

It's a historical relic. And (IMO) truly stupid.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yes! Los Angeles.

C.D. Cal!

Federal practice is weird, because it is both so uniform, but there are also these regional variations that are so bizarre. Even little things (like do you get reply as of right, or are replies disfavored) can change from district to district within a state.

....still not as weird as state practice. ;)

Remove ads