Fire archomental

Cleon

Legend
Dang it, I thought we'd finished this one and were cribbing bits of it for the Genie Firelord.

Oh well, better update the Fire Archomental Working Draft.

Okay, updated the working draft but my version has most of the actions in different places to your.

My original plan was the majority of its Legendary Actions were also usably normally, i.e. it can breathe out a Smoke Cloud as a bonus action as well as a Legendary.

Also threw in another power I remembered wanting to add: Flare. Basically as a way to burn off surplus Firepower.

Speaking of which, capitalizing Firepower in the power descriptions looks a bit clunky: "The fire archomental starts every initiative with 5 Firepower. At the start of every turn it gains 3 Firepower; if this increases the archomental's Firepower to more than 10 it must spend enough Firepower that turn to reduce its Firepower to 10 or less."

I'm thinking we should use normal lowercase, as in "The fire archomental starts every initiative with 5 firepower. At the start of every turn it gains 3 firepower; if this increases the archomental's firepower to more than 10 it must spend enough firepower that turn to reduce its firepower to 10 or less."

On the subject of things that just look wrong, it having a CON save a lot better than its DEX save seems screwy. How about giving it proficiency in Dexterity saving throws too, for DEX +13?

Cleon

Legend
ok this critter might be coming up as a boss in my campaign in the next 6 weeks or so :LOL:

Here's a rough draft of what I've come up with so far.

They're more-or-less balanced to CR 23 (I hope!). The main points I'm uncertain of is whether the Firepower Cost of the abilities is OK or not.

Still got the Purifying Pyre and Create Fire Elemental actions to write up.

Actions

Multiattack. The fire archomental makes three attacks with any combination of firefists and incandescent bolts.

Firefist. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (4d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage plus 35 (10d6) fire damage. If the target is a creature or a flammable object, it ignites. Until a creature takes an action to douse the fire, the target takes 5 (1d10) fire damage at the start of each of its turns.

Fireswarm (Costs 4 Firepower). The fire archomental hurls blazing orbs of fire to four different points within 1,000 feet[?]. Each creature in a 40-foot-radius sphere centered on each targeted point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 42 (12d6) fire damage and 42 (12d6) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The spherical effect spreads around corners; a creature in the area of more than one fiery burst is affected only once.

Incandescent Bolt (Costs 1 Firepower). Ranged Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target. Hit: 27 (6d8) fire damage plus 27 (6d8) force damage.

Purifying Pyre (Costs 3 Firepower). ???.
 ???.

Bonus Actions

Cleansing Flame (Costs 1 or 2 Firepower). For 1 firepower, the fire archomental can automatically burns away a single condition spell or magical effect affecting itself.
 Alternatively, the archomental can spend 2 firepower and use Cleansing Flame on a creature exposed to its Flame Aura (which includes itself) or that it has hit with an Incandescent Bolt. Any spell of #th level[?] or lower on the target ends. For each magical effect or spell of #th level[?] or higher on the creature, the fire archomental makes a Charisma ability check against the DC of the spell or effect. On a successful check, the spell or effect ends.

Flare (Costs 1 to 4 Firepower). The fire archomental's body becomes blazingly bright. For every point of firepower it spends, it sheds bright light in a 250 foot radius and dim light in an additional 250 foot radius. In addition, every creature within a 30 foot radius per point of firepower spent (i.e. 90 ft. for 3 firepower) must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the start of the elemental's next turn.

Incite Ignition (Costs 1 Firepower). The fire archomental selects a target within 100[?] feet. The target must succeed at a DC 20 [Wisdom? Constitution? Best of Wisdom or Constitution?] saving throw or loses any resistance or immunity to fire damage it possesses for 1 minute. The ignited target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If the saving throw is successful, the effect ends on it.

Smoke Cloud. The fire archomental exhales a 60-foot-radius sphere of smoke and embers centered on a point within 40 feet of itself. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for 1 minute or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it; the cloud moves 10 feet away from the archomental in a direction it chooses at the start of each of its turns. When the cloud appears, any creature in it must make a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or violently cough and choke for 1 round, gaining disadvantage on ability checks. A creature must also make this saving throw when it enters the cloud's area for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there. All standard elementals (air, earth, fire, water) are immune to this choking, as are creatures that do not need to breathe such as undead.
 A fire archomental can only maintain one smoke cloud at a time; it can disperse its smoke cloud as a free action.

Stoke Aura (Costs 1 to 3 Firepower). The fire archomental increases the area its Fire Aura covers. The aura's range increases to 60 feet for 1 point of firepower, 80 feet for 2 points, or 100 feet for 3 points.

Legendary Actions

The fire archomental can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The archomental regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Cleansing Fire (Costs 1 Action). The fire archomental uses Cleansing Flame. [?]

Purifying Fire (Costs 3 Actions). The fire archomental uses Purifying Pyre. [?]

Igniting Fire (Costs 1 Action). The fire archomental uses Incite Ignition. [?]

Smoking Fire (Costs 2 Actions). The fire archomental uses Smoke Cloud. [?]

Create Fire Elemental (Costs # Actions). X. [?]​

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Costs look sensible to me.

Re Cleansing Flame - surely as it is a godling this would be 7th level spell or lower, or even 8th level spell or lower.

Incite Ignition - I'd go with CON save to keep it simple (and physical).

Cleon

Legend
Costs look sensible to me.

Re Cleansing Flame - surely as it is a godling this would be 7th level spell or lower, or even 8th level spell or lower.

I'd think it'd be roughly on par for an At-Will innate spell for the Challenge Rating, plus remember it's only a Bonus Action. 5th or 6th level for the cutoff feels about right for me.

Incite Ignition - I'd go with CON save to keep it simple (and physical).

Constitution save works for me.

Am now thinking Incendiary Curse or maybe Inflict Flammability would be a better name for the ability than Incite Ignition.

After all, it doesn't actually ignite the target, but makes the target flammable even if it's something that doesn't normally burn.

Cleon

Legend
Ok 6th level I am ok with

Incendiary Curse sounds cooler

Agree to both, updating the Fire Archomental Working Draft.

That leaves Purifying Pyre and Create Fire Elemental.

For the former, I was thinking:

Purifying Pyre (Costs 3[?] Firepower). The fire archomental's body burns all the colors of the rainbow and it chooses two of the following options. It cannot choose the same option twice.
  • The archomental burns away a single condition or effect affecting itself.
  • The archomental burns away a spell or magical effect from a creature within its Fire Aura (which may be itself). Any spell of 6th level or lower on the target ends. For each magical effect or spell of 7th level or higher on the creature, the archomental makes a Charisma ability check against the DC of the spell or effect. On a successful check, the spell or effect ends.
  • All creatures and objects within 30 feet the fire archomental are engulfed in spiritual flames which only harm creatures or objects the archomental chooses to damage. Each chosen target must make a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw, taking 33 (6d10) psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
  • The fire archomental uses Incendiary Curse against one target within its Fire Aura.
  • The fire archomental heals itself, regaining 22 (4d8 + 4) hit points.

Would be OK adding or removing a few options if you come up with any alternative arrangements we prefer.

An earlier draft had "DC 22 Dexterity saving throw" and "DC 20 Constitution or Dexterity saving throw (target's choice)" but I decided Wisdom and a spell-base DC made more sense for spiritual flames.

For the Create Fire Elemental I like the basic structure but am dubious about the cost.

50 hit points for a Challenge 5 elemental that only does about 25 points of fire damage per round max doesn't seem like a very good deal, especially when many of the Fire Archomental's opponents would like prep with plenty of anti-pyro defenses.

If it was, I don't know, 20 hit points for a 102 hit point fire elemental I can see it being useful in the right circumstances.

Remove ads