• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fire! (Dunamin judging)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
While Kama'zer and Solon hurry to put out the flames, Ts'iri's and Soldier attack. Ts'iri's blast only cracks a small part of the unwounded beetle's shell, but Soldier winds up with a massive axe blow...

The Gnome throws up its hands and fire pulses out of its robes, blasting back towards Soldier. It seems almost like its entire body is burning underneath. The cold of Soldier's axe clashes with the heat of the gnome's body, and a hissing cloud of steam goes up - then the axe crashes through and strikes the gnome across the chest. It does remarkably little damage for such a huge blow; the flames must have protected the gnome somehow. For his part, Soldier is caught in the backblast and singed, but only slightly.

The gnome steps back and is poised to flee, but suddenly hears the beetle hissing in pain from Ts'iri's attack. "No!" it snarls to itself. "I can't leave them!" It suddenly flicks its wrist at Soldier and sends him staggering into the doorway with a firey flash. "THERE!" it laughs. "I've lined them up for you! Roast them, Ringo!"

The beetle opens its mandibles wide - but nothing comes out. Undaunted, it crouches and waits for the other beetle to crawl over it using their hopscotch trick. The other beetle is having none of this and bites at Callen instead, unfortunately missing. The first backs up invitingly towards its partner, waiting patiently for it to leap over and barbecue the clustered enemies. Eventually it gives up and charges down the corridor, bowling into Ts'iri. Its bite misses, but its hurtling body bruises her badly.

The gnome clucks in disappointment as its pets fail it. "Got to reach the high ground," it mutters, and turns to scale the wall behind it. It gets only a few feet before sliding back to the ground. "That's harder than it looks!" it whines. "How come the bloody great WARFORGED could do it?"

Despite Kama'zer and Solon's efforts, the fire is still spreading. Now a row of pews is starting to burn.

[sblock=Status]
Kama'zer moves to N7 and extinguishes M8, M9 and L9.

Ts'iri shifts to L20 and hits Beetle 4 for 10 damage.

Solon moves to G8 and extinguishes H9, H10 and I10.

Soldier moves to O20 and hits the gnome for 20. He's hit by the gnome's Body of Flame and takes 3 fire damage. (Being "protected by the flames" is just flavour to explain why such a big blow hasn't bloodied him yet; it's actually because, as an Elite, he has lots of hit points.)

The arsonist shifts away from Soldier (provoking a Combat Challenge attack), and casts Startling Glamour at him as a minor action, hitting with 15. He slides Soldier to N20. Then he uses his standard action to try to climb the wall to P22, but fails.

Beetle 4's Fire Spray fails to recharge. It delays until after Beetle 2.

Beetle 2's Fire Spray also fails to recharge. Instead it bites at Callen, missing with a 13.

Beetle 4 shifts to I20 and then charges to K20, biting at Ts'iri and hitting with a 24, for 4 damage. (The linked roll says 22 because I made a typo and subtracted 1 instead of adding for the charge.)

The fire spreads: G11 to H11, I10 to J10 (no effect since there's already flame there), J8 to K8, J10 to I10 (also no effect), K9 to K8, and M10 to L9.

The big double doors at Q3/R4, and the doors at B5, F14, N20 and U12 are open. The door at H18 is destroyed. The rest are closed. Soldier's handaxe is stuck in the wall at C8.

Soldier gets a Combat Challenge attack at the gnome, and it's Callen's turn.

26 - M - Mri'Thas (28/35 hp)
23 - K - Kama'zer (18/31 hp)
11 - T - Ts'iri (23/35 hp)
9 - S - Solon (17/25 hp)
9 - W - Soldier (22/36 hp)
9 - A - Arsonist (37 damage, concealment due to Heat Haze, used Fey Step, cursed by Ts'iri)
8 - B1 - Beetle 1 (36 damage, cursed by Goeth, marked with Divine Challenge by Solon, used Fire Spray)
8 - B3 - Beetle 3 (0 damage, used Fire Spray, marked by Soldier, cursed by Goeth)
8 - B2 - Beetle 2 (28 damage, used Fire Spray)
8 - B4 - Beetle 4 (10 damage, concealment due to Heat Haze, used Fire Spray)
8 - B5 - Beetle 5 (39 damage, used Fire Spray, prone and immobilized until end of next turn, provokes an OA from Soldier if it shifts before the start of Kama'zer's next turn)
8 - B6 - Beetle 6 (36 damage)
8 - B7 - Beetle 7 (38 damage, used Fire Spray)
8 - B8 - Beetle 8 (32 damage, used Fire Spray)
28 - I1 - Imp 1 (48 damage)
28 - I2 - Imp 2 (44 damage, used Tail Sting)
7 - C - Callen (28/28 hp)
5 - G - Goeth (24/34 hp + 1 thp)
4 - R - Galinndan (29/29 hp)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Out of town]
I'm going out of town tomorrow morning, I'll be gone until Wednesday. Wanted to get one last post in before then. See you next week!
[/sblock]

Erekose13

Explorer
Callen continues to push around the beetle with waves of force.

[sblock=ooc]
Standard: thunderwave vs. beetle fort (1d20+5=17, 1d6+4=9) push to J20
Move: Move to I20.

Callen Stewart - Male Human Wizard 2
Passive Perception: +13, Passive Insight: +18
Init: +1, Speed: 6, AP: 0, Second Wind: not used
AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:16, Will:16
HP:28/28, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:8/8
Burning Hands, Shield, Staff of Defense
Freezing Cloud, Healing Word, Gloves of Piercing[/sblock]

DoublePayBack

First Post
Galinndan moves forward to help Callen and fires another missle at the beetle directly in front of him which strikes the beetle dead on.

[sblock=OOC]
Minor: None
Move: Start at E14 and move to square G19.
Standard: Magic Missile vs. Ref targeting Beetle in square J20. (1d20+4=19, 2d4+4=9) = hit for 9 damage.

Galindan Rithkan - Male Eladrin Wizard 1
Passive Perception: +1, Passive Insight: +1
Init: +3, Speed: 6, AP: 0, Second Wind: not used
AC:14, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:14
HP:29/29, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:8/8
Powers - Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
Magic Missle, Scorching Burst
Burning Hands, Fey Step, Wand of Accuracy
Acid Arrow, Phantom Chasm
[/sblock]

FishXXIII

First Post
Goeth pushes forward, advancing at the beetle. He follows up the wizard's thunderwave with a eldritch dart of his own, but it seems to be ineffective. The warlock scowls as yet again his rage goes unfelt.

[sblock=OOC]Movement: Standard move to H19.
Minor: Warlock's Curse on beetle at J20.
Standard: Eldritch Blast vs beetle at J20: 1d20+3=5 FAIL[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]Goeth Tobari - Tiefling Warlock (Infernal Pact) 1
Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 17
Init: +0, Speed: 6, AP: 1, Second Wind: not used
AC:14, Fort:13, Reflex:13, Will:14
HP:24/34 +1 thp, Bloodied:17, Surge Value:8, Surges left:9/9
Powers - Eldritch Blast (CON), Hellish Rebuke, Dark One's Blessing
Infernal Wrath, Vampiric Embrace
Flames of Phlegethos [/sblock]

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC: As far as putting out fires, how many squares of fire can we put out with one turn? I thought it was only one square that can be put out per turn, but when Kamazer put out 3 last turn I had to wonder. So is 3 the limit, or can I put out fires in all adjacent squares? Just asking since it would affect which square I would move Kama'zer to in order to fight the fires.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Frustrated by his lack of aim, the irate githyanki tells "WHY DON'T YOU DIE, PATHETIC MAGGOT?!" and a blast of magical energy surges from his hands, fly chaotically around the pyromancer and hits the gnome hard in the chest

MM:24 vs ref for 14 dmg

DoublePayBack

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I will be going on vacation and will not have access to a computer from July 4th - July 8th. I wanted to give everyone a heads up, so you can skip my turn or perform an action for me. Anyone who wants to take a turn for me anytime between the 4th - 8th please feel free. I should be able to post between now and the 4th.[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
OOC: As far as putting out fires, how many squares of fire can we put out with one turn? I thought it was only one square that can be put out per turn, but when Kamazer put out 3 last turn I had to wonder. So is 3 the limit, or can I put out fires in all adjacent squares? Just asking since it would affect which square I would move Kama'zer to in order to fight the fires.

I revised the rule in this post - while there are enemies in the room with the fire, you can only put out 1 per turn (because you need to keep your head down) but now that it's cleared out, you can put out all squares adjacent to your target square (so 9 maximum).

Also, Xer0 PM'd me to say he's going out of town as well as DoublePayBack, so if it gets to their turns and I forget to NPC them, somebody remind me.

Working on an update now.
[/sblock]

Remove ads