• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Firearms, Explosives and You

Riley37

First Post
Depends on how much you care about the real-world features of real-world guns. If your favorite computer game is Rainbow Six, then you might want modern firearms to have advantages such as: scope sights; can go from "holstered/slung" to "drawn and fired" faster than longbow or crossbow; flatter trajectories; hydrostatic shock; armor penetration. If you don't know or don't care about that stuff, then... either handguns are equivalent to hand crossbows, or they're equivalent to magic wands. (Hand crossbows in no-guns D&D, so far as I can tell, are a thinly-veiled analogue of handguns anyways.)
Renaissance firearms worked fine in battles between large armies, and were not as practical for fights which started suddenly, at close quarters, as is typical of D&D PC fights. (Again, adjust if you know and care about distinctions such as matchlock, flintlock, wheel-lock, etc.)

In my game I've created a 1-time magic item (looks like a dented, old GI aluminum canteen) that summons Sgt Stone and his Caterwauling Commandos, a team of WWII heroes that can be given a single objective with a short (1hr) completion time before disappearing. They're equipped with rifles, pistols, submachine guns and grenades. The only modification I've given modern weapons is that their damage 'explodes' on a max die roll (so if you roll an 8 on 1d8 you roll it again and add it). Haven't used them yet but it should be fun.

kerleth

Explorer
This makes me realize that I have to stat up a limited use artifact for my campaign. It will be a "modern weapon", one use artifact, of which there are only 3 of in the world. That is 3. The number is 3, neither 2, nor 4. 5 is right out. I think I'll have it do quadruple damage to rabbits, and rabbit-like creatures. No, double damage to rabbits, and double damage to anything with sharp, pointy teeth.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I haven't seen their rules yet, but... it really sounds like they overdid it with firearms that are at the technological level equivalent to the other weapons and armor in the game.

A firearm that belongs in a setting where people are using the other weapons in the PHB would be functionally identical to the Crossbow. The differences would all be minor things that generally wouldn't be reflected in the actual stats of the weapon.

But, modern firearms? Oh, yes. Taking down a Tarrasque with modern firearms wouldn't be an issue at all. Reread the description of the Tarrasque more carefully, it isn't anything like Godzilla. Granted, it is about 4-5x the size of a T-Rex, but Godzilla is about 500x+ the size of a T-Rex. Human beings were taking down Blue Whales well prior to having modern firearms and Blue Whales are larger than the Tarrasque and have the ability of living deep in the oceans where humans can't follow. In fact, we humans nearly drove them to extinction.

A squad of U.S. Marine Seals or Army Rangers or any equivalent special ops team with modern weapons could almost certainly take down a 50'x70' monster-- unless that immunity to non-magical weapons is taken as literal hard rule rather than merely a mechanical attempt to convey the concept that you would need something armor piercing to get through it.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I gave my group a Holy Hand Grenade and used the stats and change it from fire to radiant & thunder. It didnt break the game.

They used it and had fun.

I also dont think that anyone thinks that these are things that are tossed out as normal gear. I think use it as a guideline to make your own stuff if you want a certain feel for your game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I haven't seen their rules yet, but... it really sounds like they overdid it with firearms that are at the technological level equivalent to the other weapons and armor in the game.

A firearm that belongs in a setting where people are using the other weapons in the PHB would be functionally identical to the Crossbow. The differences would all be minor things that generally wouldn't be reflected in the actual stats of the weapon.

But, modern firearms? Oh, yes. Taking down a Tarrasque with modern firearms wouldn't be an issue at all. Reread the description of the Tarrasque more carefully, it isn't anything like Godzilla. Granted, it is about 4-5x the size of a T-Rex, but Godzilla is about 500x+ the size of a T-Rex. Human beings were taking down Blue Whales well prior to having modern firearms and Blue Whales are larger than the Tarrasque and have the ability of living deep in the oceans where humans can't follow. In fact, we humans nearly drove them to extinction.

A squad of U.S. Marine Seals or Army Rangers or any equivalent special ops team with modern weapons could almost certainly take down a 50'x70' monster-- unless that immunity to non-magical weapons is taken as literal hard rule rather than merely a mechanical attempt to convey the concept that you would need something armor piercing to get through it.

Yeah, pretty sure that is literal, though this post gives me Buffy the Vampire flashbacks.

"What does that do???"

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Yeah, pretty sure that is literal, though this post gives me Buffy the Vampire flashbacks.

"What does that do???"

The one with the demon that could reform if you put his parts back together so they stole and RPG and blew him into fine red paste?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads