• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fireball - are effects 3 dimensional?

Some call me Tim

First Post
Someone please answer a question for me. The fireball spell is described as having a 20' radius. Does the spell affect a volume (meaning is the fireball actually a sphere)?

My DM contends that it is not because no height component is given in the description as is given for the cylindrical effect of the Flame Strike spell.

I disagree because the name Fireball seems to imply a spherical explosion. It doesn't make sense to me that the effect would be on a plane.

This discussion came about when I stated that I wanted to target the fireball several feet over the target's head to minimize the chance of hitting a member of my party en route.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to know it. But if I'm right, I'd like to have additional opinions to use to try to convince the DM.

Thanks in advance

maybeso

First Post
SRD
(from the spell discription)
Fireball
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread

(from the magic overview section)
Spread: Some spells spread out like a burst but can turn corners. The character selects the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure distance by actual distance traveled, taking into account turns the spell effect takes.
/SRD (bolding mine)

That's all I can find. I think that "in all directions" is pretty clear, but it's not as clear as I would like...

Destil

Explorer
Spreads and bursts are 3D by nature. Of course fireball has volume. 3300 cubic feet. Everyone knows that. ;)

Last edited:

The Blue Elf

First Post
maybeso said:
SRD
(from the spell discription)
Fireball
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread

(from the magic overview section)
Spread: Some spells spread out like a burst but can turn corners. The character selects the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure distance by actual distance traveled, taking into account turns the spell effect takes.
/SRD (bolding mine)

That's all I can find. I think that "in all directions" is pretty clear, but it's not as clear as I would like...

But it also saids "You point your finger determine the range ( distances and hight) at which a fireball is to burst." which if he faced a some kind of moster with flying or lager size or higher he could had done it.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads