• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E First 5th Edition Character, hoping for feedback

ZethVorador

First Post
Hey everyone, so I am getting back into DnD (Group took a break in-between 3.5 and 5) and we are starting up a 5th Edition campaign. No info on what it is yet but since this will be my first character in 5th I was hoping to get some sage wisdom from the boards. Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

The overall theme here is a ranged assassin (Sniperish/Gunslinger) and is using dual hand crossbows as main weapons with a rapier for close combat, a crossbow (Heavy?) or bow (Longbow?) for long range and some daggers for backup.
I have two potential dip-in options and I am not sure which would be the best (See Below). I am also looking to get some input on stat allocation and feat choices if possible (Also if a feat is better than an ASI in this case?).

Race: Drow
Class: Rogue (Expertise (Stealth, Perception))
Background: Charlatan
Skill Prof- Acrobatics, Deception, Insight, Persuasion, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth.
Stats: (Rolls 14, 10, 16, 12, 16, 10)
Str-10 (+0)
Dex-18 (+4)
Con-12 (+1)
Int-10 (+0)
Wis-16 (+3)
Cha-15 (+2)
Plan so far:
Rogue level 1-4: Archetype Assassin (Level 3), Crossbow Expert (Level 4).
Dip-In Level 1-3 (ECL 5-7): (See Below)
Rogue Level 5-17 (ECL 8-20): ASI’s or feats (Sharpshooter, Alert, Skulker)
Dip-in choices:
Ranger 1 (ECL 5)
(Gain: Medium Armor, Shields, Martial Weapons, Survival (?), Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer)
Ranger 2 (ECL 6)
(Gain: Fighting Style (Archery), Spell Casting (Wisdom score should make this doable?)
Ranger 3 (ECL 7)
(Gain: Archetype Hunter (Colossus Slaying or Horde Breaker?)
Spells (3 out of these 4): Hunters Mark, Fog Cloud, Hail of Thorns, Ensnaring Strike

Fighter 1 (ECL 5)
(Gain: Medium Armor, Shields, Martial Weapons, Fighting Style (Archery), Second Wind)
Fighter 2 (ECL 6)
(Gain: Action Surge)
Fighter 3 (ECL 7)
(Gain: Archetype: Champion or Battle Master)
Champion: Straight forward crit chance increase
Battle Master: 3 Maneuvers (Precision Strike, Trip attack, Riposte), Student of War

So far I am leaning towards ranger as my wisdom is pretty high which should allow for a decent DC on spells that need it (plus a lot of skills benefit from high wisdom) and the Hunter Archetype seems to give some solid additions. The fighter gives me a healing option, an action option and either a crit increase or maneuvers. Both give fighting style archery and armor/shield proficiency so those cancel each other out plus student of war and survival are semi-negligible additions. But I don’t have enough experience in 5th to know which of these would work better with what I want this character to be. Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

Quartz

Hero
Make the dips 5 levels, so you don't miss out on the stat bump or feat at 4th level, and you don't miss out the extra attack at 5th. Alternatively, consider a rogue / monk multiclass, particularly the Way of the Shadow if you take 6 levels of Monk. But really, will dipping really be worth it?

XMorsX

First Post
Start with 2 levels of fighter so that you get proficiency in constitution saves and action surge. Continue with 3 levels of assassin so that you get the automatic crit in surprise round. Now you have a powerful core, able to burst for lots of damage with action surge in the surprise round.

After 5 lvl, continue with fighter until you get your extra atttack (3 extra lvls). I would then take 3 lvls of hunter for colossus slayer and hunters mark and then come back to fighter until I get my extra attack at lvl 11. So you are Fighter 11 / Assassin 3 / Hunter 3. But really with only 5 lvls of fighter for the extra attack you are already a formidable damage dealer. Battlemaster is the best archetype for fighter, the maneuvers are better than the champion's benefits. I suggest Trip Attack, Precision Attack, Menacing Attack.

Alternatively, after Fighter 2 / Assassin 3, you can continue with Ranger all the way up to lvl 11 (ranger lvl 11, total lvl 16). This way you have access to 3rd lvl spells and Volley, a good multiattack option as well as an extra attack.

I prefer the mostly fighter approach. With only 3 lvls of hunter you have his best abilities, namely an extra fighting style, 1st lvl spellcasting for Hunter's Mark and Collosus Slayer. After the first 3 lvls, your damage will not really grow up, you will mostly increase your utility. With the mostly fighter approach you obtain your extra attack faster, the maneuvers are great for control and at the eleventh fighter lvl you obtain another extra attack. You also get to get more ability increases.

Hope it helps.

Remove ads