• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First appearance of studded leather armor

Bullgrit

Adventurer
1979, AD&D1 DMG, page 27:
Studded Leather is leather armor to which have been fastened metal studding as additional protection, usually including an outer coat of fairly close-set studs (small plates).
1983, AD&D1 Dungeon Master's Adventure Log:
studdedleather.jpg

Bullgrit

Last edited:

ArmoredSaint

First Post
Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but the illustrations in this old Dungeon Master's Adventure Log interest me. However, I've only been able to find a couple of them on the internet, despite searching for hours. Where can I find them all in one place? Apparently, even buying an old copy of this supplement doesn't mean that you'll get to see them, since not all copies had the illustrations.

I'd really be interested in seeing what the armour types looked like...

Blackbrrd

First Post
Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but the illustrations in this old Dungeon Master's Adventure Log interest me. However, I've only been able to find a couple of them on the internet, despite searching for hours. Where can I find them all in one place? Apparently, even buying an old copy of this supplement doesn't mean that you'll get to see them, since not all copies had the illustrations.

I'd really be interested in seeing what the armour types looked like...

You might want to look at the AD&D Arms and Equipment guide
(cover showed here)
http://timbannock.com/2013/02/osric-and-1st-edition-complete-arms-and-equipment-lists/

It has nearly full page drawings in black and white of all the armors, I liked them a lot. ;)

Argyle King

Legend
I think what D&D calls "studded leather" is probably most likely meant to be something akin to Brigandine.

That being said, what (I believe) most people think of when they hear the term "studded leather" isn't actually very effective as armor at all. Just the studs by themselves would actually make the armor less effective.

As for when it appeared in D&D, I have no idea.

And, as a sort of relevant question, would brigandine/coat-of-plates be more effective armour than mail? My thought is it would so is incorrectly statted too.

Gryph

First Post
And, as a sort of relevant question, would brigandine/coat-of-plates be more effective armour than mail? My thought is it would so is incorrectly statted too.

From my extrapolated experience in SCA fighting where I have worn both. About the same as cheap butt welded mail, clearly inferior to welded mail.

Thanks I always thought it would be better but I guess it was cheaper/faster to make rather than better than high quality mail. Must take a lot of work to make the good stuff!

Gryph

First Post
Thanks I always thought it would be better but I guess it was cheaper/faster to make rather than better than high quality mail. Must take a lot of work to make the good stuff!

It is a ton of work to make welded mail in a good 6 on 1 pattern that the best mail used.

Brigantine is much lighter than mail and over the course of a long battle that mattered a lot to me. I switched to plate for tournaments and used my brig for war events.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
At least according to the DMG, he got a lot of the armor descriptions out of this book, Armour & Weapons by Charles John Ffoulkes

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41676/41676-h/41676-h.htm
'
Another method of reinforcing the leather defence has been named the ‘Trellice’ coat. It is always difficult to discover exactly what the primitive draughtsman intended to represent in the way of fabrics, and it is quite open to question whether these diagonal lines may not merely suggest a quilting of linen or cloth. If it is intended to represent leather the trellice lines would probably be formed of thongs applied on to the groundwork with metal studs riveted in the intervening spaces (Plate I). This arrangement of lines is very common on the Bayeux Tapestry.

Or in other words, studded leather.

Also ring mail is described, as is banded mail.

Did these armors actually exist? Perhaps not, but pictures depicting such armors did, or so people thought.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads