• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E First D&D game in years

Minsc

Explorer
I'm playing in a 5th edition game very shortly.

My last real gaming experience was in AD&D 2e. I read the 3e books when they first came out, and sprinkled in a session or two, but never got into a campaign.

I'm looking for a few different character guides. Basically, I want effective characters. I know I won't have a problem with the role-playing, but I want guidelines to building effective characters who can pull their own weight. I'd rather be overpowered than under.

Please suggest some character concepts/guides for me. I'd really appreciate it. Race/class/feats/ect. would all be very welcome.

I think I will favor a fighter type for my first character, or maybe a bard.

I like having some spell casting ability, but it isn't needed. I just don't want a character that solely relies upon spellcasting.

Thank you.

Minsc

Explorer
Okay guys, I've made my decision. I'm going with a Fighter.

I'm joining a party of 6th level characters. The DM said I could be a 5th level character. Using the point buy (I was given the choice to either point buy or roll, but roll in front of the group - I want to make the character now so I'm using point buy)

I can't decide between the following choices. Please advise on any or all of the builds (thank you!!):

Build one:
Gnick O'Thyme
Rock Gnome Fighter (Eldritch Knight)

S 15
D 10
C 16
I 16
W 8
Ch 8

I'd go with feats and abilities that favor sword and board fighting.

(I haven't figured out stats or anything on the following options, but they will all either be Champions or Battle Masters)

2) half Orc
3) human
4) mountain dwarf

I also have to choose between sword n board, great weapons, or reach weapons.

I'm trying to pick what I think is best! What's awesome is that it ISNT so simple. I have spent most of my days in 2e, where every fighter was basically the same. It came down to "which weapon will I specailize in?"

Awesome!!

Edit: I'm starting to think the gnome probably won't have the power level the others will, but I'm also starting to think he might be the most fun.

Thanks to any advice that's coming!!

Remove ads