• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E First feat for a 5e Valor Bard

Gecko85

Explorer
I have a (currently 2nd level) half-elf bard who I plan to make a Valor Bard when I hit 3rd level. Thinking ahead to 4th level when I can either take the ability score improvement or a feat. Thinking feat, but not sure which one. Since I plan to go College of Valor, I'll get proficiency in medium armor and martial weapons, so that opens up a few possibilities. Thoughts on these (or others)?

• Crossbow Expert: I'm currently using a light crossbow but plan to switch to long bow once I hit 3rd level. However, the ability to use a hand crossbow as a bonus action when attacking with a one-handed weapon (rapier) would be nice, for when I can't attack from range. This also negates the penalty for using the crossbow when within 5 ft of the enemy, and ignores the loading property. Could come in handy.
  • Medium Armor Master: No penalty on stealth checks, and one extra point of AC.
  • Sharpshooter: No disadvantage at long range, ignore half and three-quarter cover on ranged attacks, can choose to take -5 to-hit in exchange from +10 damage. Since I will be primarily a ranged fighter, this could be nice.

I'm leaning towards sharpshooter...but not sure. Any others I should be considering?

[sblock=Half-Elf Bard]
CN Half-Elf Bard
Level 2

Abilities:
STR 8 (-1)
DEX 16 (+3; save +5)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 10 (+0)
CHA 16 (+3; save +5)

Size M
Speed 30
AC 14
Init +3
Hit Points 16

Proficiency bonus: +2
Proficiencies: light armor, simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Saves: DEX, CHA
Skills: Athletics, Acrobatics, Stealth, Perception, Deception, Performance, Persuasion

[/sblock]

faria

First Post
I'd suggest War Caster so:
1) you can cast component spells during combat without putting away/dropping a weapon/shield,
2) you have a higher chance to maintain Concentration on spells that require it,
and 3) you can use spells as OAs (such as Hold Person) to prevent them from escaping.

sithramir

First Post
Sharpshooteris considered overpowered when you're fighting lower AC monsters since your damage output is sick. Probably the most powerful choice if you really want to be mainly an archer.

But you have full spellcasting so will that really what you end up doing?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
If you plan on switching to a longbow when you get the Valor Bard archetype, then Crossbow Expert is a waste. Medium Armor Mastery is nice, but it's not essential.

I really like Sharpshooter if you plan on using the -5/+10 a lot. If you're going to do that, I'd really suggest a level of Fighter so you can get the Archery fighting style. I think the -5 to hit is a pretty significant penalty.

Faria's suggestion of War Caster is a very good one.

Remove ads