• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First house rule: Tieflings have small horns

Lurks-no-More

First Post
The amount of time and effort spent griping about tiefling horns, or whether dragonborn have breasts, or what kind of a hair should a gnome have to look like a gnome, is frankly astonishing. Wasn't this supposed to be a game of imagination, not of nit-picking illustrations?

Edwin_Su

First Post
Thieflings coeld have very difrent aprerences but there are always some featured betraying ther demon heratige.

so a thifling coeld look just the way you want it to look

a thiefling warrior might prefer to be the big horned type

whiloe a female thiefling rougue mingt have a tail and rudementery wing buds betraying an sucubus ancestor.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Gloombunny said:
What's with the pointy ears on all those old-school-tiefling pictures? I thought they were demon-human hybrids, not demon-elf.

Why do you think that only elves get pointy ears?

In part, it's a DiTerlizzi thing: his fondness for fairy-tale leaked through, though not all of his tieflings have pointy ears. Anyone using his stuff as a reference is likely to have pointy ears, too.

In part, it's a change in what the teifling has been. It was originally "a human plus something else", which meant that they were basically a catch-all category for planetouched -- good, evil, fey, chaos, law, spirit-world, ethereal, ninja, whatever. They rapidly became more fiendish than anything else, but the idea always was that they were of mixed blood of various types, they didn't have the strong lineage of descent that an alu-fiend or somthing did. So when the original artwork was called for, DiTerlizzi let the "faery foundling" angle take over his art. IMO, that's something cool, the blurring of the lines between "fey" and "demon" is awesome in my mind, though 4e definately goes with the flow and makes them strongly associated with a particular brand of outsiders.

maggot

First Post
jedrious said:
My first houserule:

Anyone forcing a houserule on me before the rules even comes out gets a pie in the face and a boot out the door

Wait a minute! I think you just house ruled before seeing the rules. Now you will have to hit yourself in the face with a pie and boot yourself out the door.

drjones

Explorer
Disclaimer: I don't think 4e is wow
The 'new' tiefling look reminds me of the blue race from the wow expansion, the horns at least. Maybe that's why but I don't particularly like the new look.

I doubt it will come up in playing the game though, it's not like I will be drawing pictures of every NPC or going through the PHB erasing horns.

Pbartender

First Post
In my campaign, I think I'm going to give Tieflings a more Middle-Eastern flavor...

Rather than devils or demons, they will be descended from djinn and efreet, be in the process of trying to rebuild their lost empire, and most likely look a little more like John Leguizamo as he played the Genie of the Lamp in Arabian Nights:

Attachments

• 10151-25177.gif
    10151-25177.gif
    41.8 KB · Views: 120

RigaMortus2

First Post
jedrious said:
My first houserule:

Anyone forcing a houserule on me before the rules even comes out gets a pie in the face and a boot out the door

If the rules aren't out yet, how can anyone be forcing them upon you? I don't understand your statement...

In order for the rules to be "forced" upon you, not only does there have to be rules out/present/being used, but you would also need to be playing the game and using those rules. Are either of these things in effect for you at the moment?

HeinorNY

First Post
drjones said:
Disclaimer: I don't think 4e is wow
The 'new' tiefling look reminds me of the blue race from the wow expansion, the horns at least. Maybe that's why but I don't particularly like the new look.

I doubt it will come up in playing the game though, it's not like I will be drawing pictures of every NPC or going through the PHB erasing horns.
I like this "tiefling".
attachment.php

Attachments

• 330px-Draenie_copy.jpg
    330px-Draenie_copy.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,057

Remove ads