• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E First literary concept of the "Adventuring Party"?

Enkhidu

Explorer
Can you back that up with some examples? When I read the question I initially assumed there would be loads too, but if the essential elements are taken as:
- a group of people
- aspiring to be heroes but initially unknown
- exceptional and complementary skills

...then there aren't as many as you'd think. My own Norse example (up there ^ somewhere) actually falls down completely on #2 now I think about it (by any standard, Loki and Thor were already famous) and barely passes #1...

Actually, Tolkein's Fellowship misses on #2 a well. All of the non-hobbit members were well known in their spheres of influence, and most were acknowledged as powerful/heroic (with the possible exception of Gimli, who seems to be a prototypical dwarf prince, and fairly young to boot).

I don't think the conceit requires #2, and you'll get better/truer results if you drop it.

While this doesn't address the "first" idea, I think toy brands in the late 70's through today tend towards "adventure group" set ups: TMNT, G.I.Joe (except for the big end battles where 300 Joes show up), Thundercats, He-man/She Ra, and Transformers after Beast Wars (although some G1 cartoons and comics focused on small groups, and one could argue that all the combiner groups were adventure groups [I mean the combaticons were basically an evil A-Team with a sniper attached.] come to mind--Gotta Sell More Toys. So I think around that time, it became almost a default.

Quickleaf

Legend
Some of the other threads got me thinking. When did we see the first real concept of an adventuring party in literature? By adventuring party, I mean a group of would-be heroes with unique skill sets working together to embark on an adventure. The intellectual (scientist/wizard), the warrior (fighter/soldier), and the scoundrel (thief/scout)

I want to say the Greek stories are probably the first, with Jason (and Madea and the rest of his crew--fighters/magic users/thieves as a group). And then after that would Geoffry of Monmouth count, with his take on the Arthurian legends by incorporating Merlin (wizard) with the knights (fighters)?

But what after that? The Arabian Nights in 1700s? Or do we have a dead space until after the Industrial Revolution with Jules Verne? Journey to the Center of the Earth to me rings of a classic adventuring party as defined above. I know there was a ton of fantasy before that (Mary Shelly, John Ruskin, George McDonald, etc), but I can't recall any that had an adventuring party as a concept used. And then it sort of exploded in fantasy literature, especially with the debut of magazines like Weird Tales in the early 1900s.

But I admit I am a total novice when it comes to literature, especially pre 20th century literature, so I'm assuming I'm missing something.

My hunch is that Chinese literature would have some of the earlier adventuring parties in literature. Specifically the gong'an (court-case fiction) and the wuxia (chivalric fiction) genres.

The book I'm thinking of is known as The Seven Heroes and Five Gallants, wherein each hero or gallant has a skill specialty and/or fighting specialty, and each gets spotlighted at various times in the story. It was first published in 1879, before the industrial revolution occurred in China.

I'm certain there are older instances in Chinese literature, but I'd have to ask my linguist friend what they are.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My hunch is that Chinese literature would have some of the earlier adventuring parties in literature. Specifically the gong'an (court-case fiction) and the wuxia (chivalric fiction) genres.

The book I'm thinking of is known as The Seven Heroes and Five Gallants, wherein each hero or gallant has a skill specialty and/or fighting specialty, and each gets spotlighted at various times in the story. It was first published in 1879, before the industrial revolution occurred in China.

I'm certain there are older instances in Chinese literature, but I'd have to ask my linguist friend what they are.

You know, you make an excellent point. I can’t believe I never even considered it. White privileged I suppose.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
I think you'll find that Odin is different than you expect. He bargains his eye for wisdom, but disguises himself. I'm thinking Rogue/druid.

Gods are complicated. Nevertheless, when he wanders the earth disguised in a traveler's cloak and hat, he is the original archetype of the wizard, and the inspiration for Gandalf.

I know of no story that has the three of them adventuring together.

Nor do I, but there are other adventuring trios in Norse mythology. There's the story of Thor, Loki, and Thor's bond servant Thialfi's journey to Utgard. Each is highlighted for his particular abilities, Thialfi for being the fastest runner, Loki for being the fastest eater, and Thor for feats of drinking, strength, and fighting. Another trio is composed of Thor, Loki, and Hoenir, who gave reason to humans, although their adventure lacks detail except as the backdrop of their meeting with the giant Thiazi in eagle form. Also, Odin and Thor go into battle side-by-side along with the other Aesir to the battle of Ragnarok.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Gods are complicated. Nevertheless, when he wanders the earth disguised in a traveler's cloak and hat, he is the original archetype of the wizard, and the inspiration for Gandalf.
Maybe. I would expect the archetype of the wizard to cast spells. (and yes, Havamal 146-63 lists spells known, but they are not cast in any wizardly way; it is a list from the wisdom tradition that has been incorporated inorganically into the poem).
Nor do I, but there are other adventuring trios in Norse mythology. There's the story of Thor, Loki, and Thor's bond servant Thialfi's journey to Utgard. Each is highlighted for his particular abilities, Thialfi for being the fastest runner, Loki for being the fastest eater, and Thor for feats of drinking, strength, and fighting. Another trio is composed of Thor, Loki, and Hoenir, who gave reason to humans, although their adventure lacks detail except as the backdrop of their meeting with the giant Thiazi in eagle form. Also, Odin and Thor go into battle side-by-side along with the other Aesir to the battle of Ragnarok.
I'm feeling the goalposts are sliding here. I would not have thought someone reading Gylfaginning or whatever reads these passages and thinks "aha! an adventuring party." You do, and so fair enough. But this isn't what I feel the OP has asked. Plenty of pairs go into battle together - if that counts as adventuring, we're back to Gilgamesh.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
Maybe. I would expect the archetype of the wizard to cast spells. (and yes, Havamal 146-63 lists spells known, but they are not cast in any wizardly way; it is a list from the wisdom tradition that has been incorporated inorganically into the poem).
I'm feeling the goalposts are sliding here. I would not have thought someone reading Gylfaginning or whatever reads these passages and thinks "aha! an adventuring party." You do, and so fair enough. But this isn't what I feel the OP has asked. Plenty of pairs go into battle together - if that counts as adventuring, we're back to Gilgamesh.

I only brought up Ragnarok as an example of Odin and Thor working together, and of course going into battle is what adventuring parties often do in a game of D&D, but it wasn't meant to be an example of an adventuring party, per se.

The trio of Thor, Loki, and Thialfi, on the other hand, has the feel of an adventuring party to me, travelling to and infiltrating a hostile location, and each member with his own specialty. As with the Norse myths in general, though, the concept is in a very primitive state.

Remove ads