First pic of Jared Leto's Joker

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I can't believe they're casting Heath Ledger as The Joker. I mean, the guy from A Knight's Tale? Really? This film is going to be awful. They've totally missed the point of the character. I will not be seeing this film, even if they pay me to.

#timewarpto2007

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Joker is sinister, but it is his actions that made him look mad, not tattoos or his teeth.

*shrug* Jim Lee and Frank Miller had a tattoo-covered Joker.

Right now it looks like he was design by someone out of touch with youth and doesn't get the character.

I don't see how this is at all "out of touch with youth".

As for not getting the character - there is no one "the character" to get. The Joker has been around since 1940, and has had variations from Cesar Romero to Heath Ledger, to everything between and around. He's a piece of mythology, and will change with retellings.

I'll see the flick, I just suddenly have doubts about it.

I have had doubts from the start - just not based on their take on any of the characters in particular.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think the Joker is supposed to be in touch with the youth. He's not supposed to be in touch with anybody or anything. He's the definition of out of touch!

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
*shrug* Jim Lee and Frank Miller had a tattoo-covered Joker.
Two people who are washed up. Their good years are way behind them. The redeeming quality is they they didn't put a "damaged" tattoo on his forehear.

As for not getting the character - there is no one "the character" to get.
Of course there is a character. Just by saying the Joker, an idea pops up. Madness, violence, use of chemicals, his relation to Batman, clownish appearence, etc, are part of the character. You can play with those, have experiments and tweek his personnality and motivations, but if you start having him obcess with saying his wife in cryo-sleep, it isn't the Joker anymore.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I don't think the Joker is supposed to be in touch with the youth. He's not supposed to be in touch with anybody or anything. He's the definition of out of touch!

Ashame the director went with a look that tries to emulate some pop figures that kidz will recognize.

Ryujin

Legend
Joker from "8 Mile." I'll have to wait and see. I'll have to agree with Morrus on the "out of touch" thing. The Joker is in his own wack-a-doodle world. If he's ever "in touch" then it's in the way that a broken clock is right, twice a day.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I feel for the guy because everyone will compare him to those that came before. Joker is an iconic character, he has a look, I don't see that here, maybe he is going for a Mime look. :) Performance MAY make up but will he really have that much screen time with the casting as is?

Yeah, I can certainly see why they went with a stylistic change; Ledger's Joker was dark and sinister, while Hamill's Joker was maniacal and very much iconic.

Leto may do a good job in the part, but I have serious reservations about such an extreme departure from what is known about this character. It's almost like they are making such an extreme change for the sake of making such an extreme change. To me, that's just shoddy writing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Leto may do a good job in the part, but I have serious reservations about such an extreme departure from what is known about this character. It's almost like they are making such an extreme change for the sake of making such an extreme change. To me, that's just shoddy writing.

Shoddy writing is pretty harsh. From all the teaser photos and poses, this is clearly the Joker from The Killing Joke. What aspects of that version of the Joker do you feel they're making extreme changes from?

Last edited:

Remove ads