D&D 5E First time D&D player

Nebulous

Legend
We didn't get to play, but he spent hours reading over the rules and then we sat down and made his character together. It's cute watching someone deliberate over the aspects of a healer's kit vs. an explorer's kit for about 5 minutes :). I imagine when he spends his gold on the detailed Equipment list he'll be there quite a while!

Joe Liker

First Post
We didn't get to play, but he spent hours reading over the rules and then we sat down and made his character together. It's cute watching someone deliberate over the aspects of a healer's kit vs. an explorer's kit for about 5 minutes :). I imagine when he spends his gold on the detailed Equipment list he'll be there quite a while!
Oh, my.

It might not be a great idea to let him waste too much time on decisions that are unlikely to be rewarded. You'd better either be prepared to make him feel like his time was well-spent, or let him know now that he can always buy more stuff later.

Nebulous

Legend
He seemed to be enjoying it. I remember when i was young and first started playing it was a real pleasure to fill out my equipment with knick knacks. But yes, you have good advice.

RobofAllansia

First Post
I'm running a home brew world where the players get to influence council decisions through relationships and roleplaying, it seems to work really well. They get to kill monsters but also see the town growing around them.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Edit: Ya'll know the Dungeon Alphabet by Goodman Games? I've thought about using that as a random dungeon generator, starting with the A's. It has charts for the whole alphabet.
I hadn't seen that before. Very cool! I'm going to have to put that on my list of things to buy in the future.

Instead I think I'll just have other adventurers start stepping in to steal their thunder when they delay. THAT will totally stick in their craw. Gods, I'm a genius.
Hah, especially if the NPC adventurers get praise heaped upon them by everyone... have the whole town buzzing about these 'noble heroes', give them medals, have a feast...

It's cute watching someone deliberate over the aspects of a healer's kit vs. an explorer's kit for about 5 minutes :)
I remember those days... :)

I'm running a home brew world where the players get to influence council decisions through relationships and roleplaying, it seems to work really well. They get to kill monsters but also see the town growing around them.
Welcome to ENWorld! That sounds like an excellent game. Small town politics can be a lot of fun, especially when you have NPCs who get angry and upset about adventurers putting their lives in danger.

Nebulous

Legend
We ran a short scenario with the first time D&D player last night. He had a 3rd level dwarf cleric who likes to brew his own beer. He was 3rd, not 1st, because I'm introducing him into the campaign Thursday and the party is 3rd. And about to level to 4th, but i'm keeping him at 3rd i think. Actually, i'll ask you guys, it is better to keep them all the same level?

Anyway, we just did 3 short one-on-one fights. First a ruffian, then a will-o-wisp, then a demon. This was just to show him basics of attacking and movement and opportunity attacks. The will-o-wisp i told him up front that it was an undead, and had that cool PF miniature of the will-o-wisp. Well, he latched onto that word undead and turned the dang thing immediately, and as it was fleeing, at the very END of its move about 100 feet away, he hits it with an upgraded guiding bolt and damn near destroys the thing in one hit. Well, he loved it. Now, i did dish out a lot of information about the wisp, i had the MM cracked open and i explained to him saves, attacks, stats, defenses and immunities, and how this would NOT normally happen in-game, that it would be a "trial and error" process to even know that his magic would work on the monster (i.e. he should not have known it was undead).

The demon was fun. And WAY overpowered, it was CR 11 and waiting for him inside a tavern. The dwarf managed to throw himself over the balcony, twisted a foot at the bottom and hustled into the bushes to hide. :)

Shimizu69

First Post
We ran a short scenario with the first time D&D player last night. He had a 3rd level dwarf cleric who likes to brew his own beer. He was 3rd, not 1st, because I'm introducing him into the campaign Thursday and the party is 3rd. And about to level to 4th, but i'm keeping him at 3rd i think. Actually, i'll ask you guys, it is better to keep them all the same level?

Anyway, we just did 3 short one-on-one fights. First a ruffian, then a will-o-wisp, then a demon. This was just to show him basics of attacking and movement and opportunity attacks. The will-o-wisp i told him up front that it was an undead, and had that cool PF miniature of the will-o-wisp. Well, he latched onto that word undead and turned the dang thing immediately, and as it was fleeing, at the very END of its move about 100 feet away, he hits it with an upgraded guiding bolt and damn near destroys the thing in one hit. Well, he loved it. Now, i did dish out a lot of information about the wisp, i had the MM cracked open and i explained to him saves, attacks, stats, defenses and immunities, and how this would NOT normally happen in-game, that it would be a "trial and error" process to even know that his magic would work on the monster (i.e. he should not have known it was undead).

The demon was fun. And WAY overpowered, it was CR 11 and waiting for him inside a tavern. The dwarf managed to throw himself over the balcony, twisted a foot at the bottom and hustled into the bushes to hide. :)

Well if your asking for an opinion then one DM to another I would leave them all the same level. He will catch on after a few games. If he likes the game he should buy the PHB or atleast download the PDF of the SRD from the Wizards site. It is free and will explain all he needs to know on the basics of the game.
Well that is my 2cents. I had a new player that has never played a RPG in his life is 42 and he is playing a Barbarian and he caught on quick and witht he groups guidance has become a killing machine that can at times out stealth our best rogue which in itself is very funny. a 6'5" 260lb Human male sneaking around and then crushing the Enemy with a 2 handed Battle Axe. My whole group is level 4 and it is 6 to 7 players depending on the week which is every Saturday. Well that is my 3cents now...lol

Nebulous

Legend
Thank you. I was just looking at options. He'll catch on VERY quickly, i have no doubt about that. I just didn't want to short him the experience of low level play, but i guess 3rd/4th isn't that much of a difference.

I have a feeling he'll be a fan for life.

Remove ads