First time making a "serious" dungeon! How do you do it?

Quickleaf

Legend
You could explore the idea of some alternate means of lowering and raising stone bridges. Maybe massive ancient stone statues can raise slabs of stone by means of chains, fed through the arms of the statues. Or maybe the complex uses some magical means of floating pieces of stone into place? Alternatively, maybe they did use wooden drawbridges at some point, but they've been worn away by time, leaving only rusty chains and a large gap.

Yeah, I was thinking of magical ways of creating/connecting areas as well.

One of my design goals is to include:
  • Opportunities for arcane spellcasters to expend spell slots to do cool things within the citadel.
  • Opportunities for clerics/druids to use channel divinity at sacred braziers to gain clues / power from the asuras.
  • Including more Intelligence and Charisma saving throws than baseline 5e.
  • Look for places to call for a diversity of skill checks.

Your idea to magically raise or assemble a bridge is a great example.

You could even explore the idea that maybe the Dragon Aerie isn't an intended entrance to the complex. Maybe some sort of ancient dried up aquaduct runs through the Aerie, and the players would need to find a way inside the structure to reach the caldera.

Brilliant!

EDIT: Finally have a working 1st floor plan...probably more revisions to come...I tried to fit it onto a 36" x 48" poster map size file...but I'm realizing that I need to go up to 36" x 60" maybe in order to fit the Tower of the Bonfire and everything.

nx17OvJ.png

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
My process for "serious" dungeons is to start with "Why are They there?"

Then, once I have that, determine "Who are/were They?" and "Are They still there?"

Then I figure out the needed "mission rooms" - those rooms that are needed for doing whatever they are there to do. And if they need to be near other rooms.

Then I place them.

Then I add additional rooms, including at least one mess hall and one privy. And I place a water supply. Unless it's a tomb.

Then connect it all.

THen stock it with treasures, and then with "Them" or their replacements.

Quickleaf

Legend
My process for "serious" dungeons is to start with "Why are They there?"

Then, once I have that, determine "Who are/were They?" and "Are They still there?"

Then I figure out the needed "mission rooms" - those rooms that are needed for doing whatever they are there to do. And if they need to be near other rooms.

Then I place them.

Then I add additional rooms, including at least one mess hall and one privy. And I place a water supply. Unless it's a tomb.

Then connect it all.

THen stock it with treasures, and then with "Them" or their replacements.

Sounds like a very solid approach. The idea of "mission rooms" is very interesting, and something that I've been thinking about (and challenged by). Do you have a few examples of "mission rooms" from your own dungeons?

Making some improvements and additions to the layout as I re-think it and try to create a sensible dungeon with internal logic...

5eOOaXs.png

Now it's starting to look more like a dungeon with a purpose, and less like just a series of randomly connected rooms. I like how the map now suggests multiple entrances into some of the rooms. I think this is good.

The next step would be to draw the doors, and indeed to define specific challenges or scenes. I would start by writing a short piece of text for each important location, and to think about possible puzzles, locked doors, and key items.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Sounds like a very solid approach. The idea of "mission rooms" is very interesting, and something that I've been thinking about (and challenged by). Do you have a few examples of "mission rooms" from your own dungeons?

For a fortification, there will be barracks, armory, and gates.
For a prison, the cells, the interior and exterior gates.
For a Wizard's stronghold, a library, a lab, and a master suite (BR, Bath)
For a warehouse, the storerooms.
For a religious center, the chapel, the sacristy, and possibly a library.
For a civil government center, the throne room and/or audience hall(s), plus administrative offices and records storerooms, and perhaps a treasury.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6779310]aramis erak[/MENTION] Ah, so by "mission rooms" you mean the rooms that are central to the NPCs occupying the site, not "mission rooms" as in rooms with PC objectives. Gotcha.
[MENTION=6801286]Imaculata[/MENTION] Yeah, that's the next step! I've started with the outside/main entry areas...

0. The Caldera
Spanning some 4 miles across, the caldera’s ridge is just barely visible on clear days rising 2,500 feet above the desert’s floor. All that remains of a sunken volcano that ejected its magma core in ancient times, the caldera is as desolate as the surrounding desert. Rough terrain wrought with treacherous fissures, at night remnants of lava light patches of hydrogen sulfide vapors to create the “blue fire” for which Krak al-Mazhar is notorious among the jann.
Patrols of 2d6 mamluks of the Imperishable*, with 1d4+1 fire giant lizard (see p. #) or fire giant scorpion (see p. #) mounts, keep an eye out for intruders. The mamluks have two other important tasks. First, they watch over the slaves in the Sulfur Mines (area 24) to make sure they are worked to the bone. Second, the mamluks are tasked with repelling any “desert terror” bulettes (see p. #) that make it past the thunderstaves buried 3 feet beneath the caldera’s sands. These thunderstaves* emit low-frequency vibrations that confuse the bulettes’ tremorsense, causing the creatures to avoid coming too close to the Sulfur Mines (area 24) or Gate of Mysteries (area 9) unless food is extremely scarce.
The skies above the caldera are patrolled by 1d4+1 shadow wyverns (see p. #) at any given time, mounted by shig’harakhi* who keep a lookout for intruders, sandstorms, caravans to raid, and the foolish slave who tries to flee. Soaring in the skies above, these aerial patrols can see for 40 miles around the caldera.
Adjoining Areas. Gate of Mysteries (area 9), Sulfur Mines (area 24).

[SECTION]Variant Monsters: Desert Terrors
A fierce breed of bulette hunts the deserts surrounding Krak al-Mazhar, arcane creations of The Bonfire. Known as “desert terrors” by caravans, these Huge bulettes have 103 (9d12+45) hit points, and gain the Armored Hide, Relentless Charge, and Wounded Fury traits. Their CR increases to 8 (3,900 XP).

Armored Hide. The bulette is immune to ranged weapon attacks unless they deal 15 damage or more.

Relentless Charge (recharge 5-6). The bulette moves up to its speed, and makes a Bite attack against each creature it moves within 5 feet of. The target must succeed a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and pushed up to 10 feet out of the bulette’s space into an unoccupied space of the bulette’s choice. Opportunity attacks made against it during this movement have disadvantage.

Wounded Fury. While it has 25 hit points or less, the bulette has advantage on attack rolls. In addition it deals an extra 13 (2d12) damage to any target it hits with a melee attack.[/SECTION]

9. Gate of Mysteries
This massive red sandstone gate boasts a decorative pointed arch some 60 feet tall, while the actual entrance rises to a height of 15 feet. The gate is used by slaves working the sulfur mines, entry and exit for new initiates to the Brotherhood, for military drills, and for the very rare departing/incoming caravan.
Creatures entering the gate experience a disorienting optical illusion from the arches-within-arches; they must succeed a DC 12 Intelligence saving throw or be incapacitated (can’t take actions or reactions, but can still move) for the round while passing under the arch. Dwarves are immune to this optical illusion of the stonework.
Two maelephants* (Khamaraj and Virija) – large elephant-headed fiends – keep an eternal vigil over the gate, stopping anyone they don’t recognize or who can’t provide the countersign to the devils’ question: “Ash lies behind you. Know you what awaits beyond the threshold?” (Answer: “Blood and fire.”) The curmudgeonly maelephants were exiled from the Lower Planes for 1,001 years for dereliction of duty, and made a pact with The Bonfire’s predecessor to watch for intruders, especially the asuras Isheae and her allies. While they are competent guards, the maelephants prefer harassing slaves and fondly recalling their grisly battles in vivid detail.
Adjoining Areas. The Caldera (area 0), Mamluk Guardpost (area G1).

24. Sulfur Mines
Carved from the northeastern caldera ridge, tiered pits emitting caustic vapors hold the yellow mineral known to the Brotherhood’s slaves as “devil’s gold.” The Brotherhood uses the sulfur from the mines to create oil of liquid star* using a secret recipe kept in utmost confidence. When necessary to trade with merchants and sultans, the sulfur can be mixed into an acid, used to create matches, potent fertilizers and insecticides, and bleaching pure white sugar.
Roughly a quarter of the slaves kept at Krak al-Mazhar, about 60 able-bodied men and women, are forced to work the sulfur mines. Everyday they leave the Slave Quarters (area 20) while it’s still dark, armed only with torches, metal rockbars and picks, and veils that provide meager protection from the sulfurous fumes. By late morning, they bear baskets loaded with 150 pounds of sulfur back into Krak al-Mazhar for use in the Alchemy Lab (area 1). The slaves are tasked with indoors assignments during the midday heat before being sent back out at dusk to gather yet more sulfur, the hammering of their tools heard till the stars become visible.
While the mamluks patroling the Caldera (area 0) are responsible for the slaves, they reality is they only check in on the mines once a day, typically in the morning. The rest of the day, a group of 6 desert trolls (see p. #) subjugated by the Brotherhood act as watchers over the mines, preferring to remain hidden amidst the sandstone and volcanic rock until need (or opportunity) presents itself. For this reason, many of the slaves are terrified of speaking or acting out of line, for fear the al-qazm (as they call the trolls) will take notice. While the trolls mostly obey the Brotherhood’s commands, their ravenous hunger drives them to look for the slightest excuse to devour a disobedient slave.
Adjoining Areas. The Caldera (area 0).

[SECTION]Variant Monsters: Desert Trolls
The trolls of the Haunted Lands, known as al-qazm by the jann tribes, are adapted to desert conditions and prove exceptionally cunning at setting up ambushes. Such “desert trolls” can regenerate even fire damage; however acid damage or exposure to water prevents their regeneration. Additionally, they have Intelligence 9 (-1), and the Sand Camouflage and Water Susceptability traits.

Sand Camouflage. The troll has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in desert terrain.

Water Susceptibility. The troll takes damage from exposure to water. Every gallon a troll is exposed to deals 1d6 acid damage (i.e. create water would deal 10d6 acid damage, while a geyser from a decanter of endless water would deal 30d6 acid damage). Exposure to light rains deals 1d4 acid damage per round, while moderate to heavy rains deal 4d4 acid damage per round. A waterskin’s worth deals 1d4 acid damage, while a vial of holy water deals 2d6 acid damage.[/SECTION]

Last edited:

This is fantastic stuff. What I like, is that you not only detail what the area looks like, but also the behavior of its denizens, which informs their patrol routes.

One of the things that I often do when designing a dungeon, is come up with minor 'discoveries' that the players can make, that are not bound to any specific room in the dungeon. For example, they could discover an ancient stone mural that reveals some important bit of lore. I then keep these blurps of text in reserve, for when I feel they are appropriate. I can just throw them into any location whenever I feel like it. That way I can keep every moment in the dungeon exciting. Even if they just stop to rest somewhere, and take in their surroundings, they may spot something that they didn't notice before.

For example, for the sunken coastal city I had these bits of lore ready, that I could drop in at any time:

Shrine of the God of Death
The shrine to the God of Death is littered with old candles and decayed scrolls. A search check may reveal valuable items around the shrine. There’s a basin of water that is holy water. Search DC 30 to find a secret stash.

Wall carving
Human figures are shown worshipping the god of death. A shaman, brings food and treasure to the statue of the god, while inhaling what seems like incense. The next depiction shows the same shaman lying down on what seems like a bed, while dreaming of a vision. The third depiction shows a cloud filled with grasping hands, and a terrified shaman who seems to be seeing this in his vision. The fourth depiction shows the shaman telling his people of this danger, and the people are frightened. The fifth depiction shows the shaman and his people leaving in boats, while taking only food and their most important possessions.

Stone coffin of a Saint
This stone coffin of some sort of holy shaman seems warded by magic, and is littered with candles and flasks. There are jars that smell strongly of incense, and carvings on the side of the stone coffin. The coffin is warded my a magic missile spell, which can be dispelled. The coffin also contains a hidden hatch where a piece of treasure is hidden.

Fertility room
A chamber filled with erotic images, and statues of fertility figures. Some statues resemble pregnant women, and well-endowed men. It looks like this room may have contained beds, but decay has eaten away most of the furniture. Hardly anything remains of the wall tapestries either. A search check may reveal valuable items.

Nether crypt

The entrance of a crypt has a depiction of a gate with eyes surrounding it. The door to the crypt is clearly made to resemble a mythical gateway. Inside the crypt is filled with stone caskets, and images of the Lady of the Waves cover the walls. The entrance to the crypt is trapped (Search DC 18), so it will lock anyone inside who enters.

Embalming Room
This room smells of chemicals, and various jars and stone tables fill the room. The contents of the jars have long perished. There are also some upright stone coffins against the walls, containing mummified bodies. A search check DC 15 may reveal treasures.

Embalming, carving
A wall carving shows the process of embalming the dead. Corpses are laid down on stone tables, and then treated with chemicals. Crying women wrap the dead in cloth.

Cursed altar
A holy altar with a beautiful jewel encrusted holy symbol (50gp) lines one of the walls. The altar has an inscription on it, that when deciphered reads: “Woe to whoever disturbs the dead, or steal from them, for the god of death shall have no pity on them in this life, or the life after.” The altar is warded with a spell. If someone removes the holy symbol, an animate undead spell is cast on all corpses on this floor.

The passing of the dead, carving
A wall carving shows the dead being brought to their tomb by mourning people. The spirits of the dead then rise from their bodies, and step through the gateway with eyes. A figure of the god of death awaits them, while holding a set of scales that weigh their good acts against their bad. One figure is shown to be sent to heaven, while another is cast into an ocean of tormented souls.

Drowning of the dead, carving
A wall carving shows a sailor being thrown off his ship during a storm. He drowns and sinks to the bottom of the ocean, where the Lady of the Waves takes his hand, and brings him before the god of death. The god of death holds a set of scales, to judge the man, and then sends the man to heaven.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
[MENTION=6779310]aramis erak[/MENTION] Ah, so by "mission rooms" you mean the rooms that are central to the NPCs occupying the site, not "mission rooms" as in rooms with PC objectives. Gotcha.

central to the mission of the place as it was built.

If it's reoccupied, the new occupants may have a different mission in mind, and either add or repurpose rooms for their mission.

And, not coincidentally, in both cases, these rooms also tend to be ideal PC target rooms.

Remove ads