• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fishing for bayoneted rifle gun-fu ideas...

ValhallaGH

Explorer
The Hafted Weapon Mastery feats from Iron Heroes would be a good start on the spear component. Add in the various two-weapon fighting feats from D&D (or IH) and you'll have a solid melee system. Toss in the Gun Fu ability of the Gunslinger, only for a bayoneted rifle rather than a one-handed firearm, and you'd have most of it built right there.

If you can find some of the more involved gun katas of the various grammaton clerics that have been developed around here then you may be able to adapt some of that as well.

I hope this was helpful to you.

notjer

First Post
I've an idea which could work somehow.

You'll need the craft magic weapon and armor feat and some elemental spells, force and/ernegy. Then you could enchant the musket (without a bayonet) with blades made out of magic in both the top and buttom, which can be folded out at will or command. It would be a kind of look-a-like lightsabers.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I was suggesting something like this:
[sblock]Prerequisite: Spear or polearm proficiency
Benefit: Select a single square adjacent to the area you normally threaten with your spear or polearm: You now threaten that square. You must have line of sight and line of effect to the square you choose. You can pick a square or change your current square to a new target once per round as a free action.
Expanded Mastery: 2. You can use your two-handed spear or polearm as a double weapon. You lose the benefits and drawbacks of the weapon’s reach, and the spear or polearm’s second head inflicts damage as a club of the same size. You gain the benefits of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat’s base benefit with your weapon when you use it this way. You can spend feat selections to gain Two-Weapon Fighting’s expanded
mastery abilities for this use of your spear or polearm.
You can change to wield your spear or polearm as a double weapon or go back to using it normally as a free action once per round.
Expanded Mastery: 3. If you wear light or no armor, you can vault forward using your spear or polearm, gaining a +4 bonus to Jump checks on stable ground. In addition, as a full attack action you can make a single unarmed strike that does not provoke an opportunity. To do so, plant your spear in the ground and vault forward to deliver a driving kick. There must be one square (and only one square) between you and your target; when you end this attack, you land in that empty square. You inflict damage equal to twice your unarmed damage, with double all the normal bonuses you gain to unarmed attacks.
Expanded Mastery: 4. You can extend your spear’s reach by making a powerful, lunging attack at your opponent.
When you use a full attack action with a spear or polearm, you gain a +1 square (5-foot) bonus to your reach. If your spear or polearm has the reach descriptor, apply this bonus after doubling your normal reach, not before.
You keep this extra reach until the end of your current turn.
Expanded Mastery: 6. With a punishing flurry of jabs, you attempt to force a foe backward. If you hit him with more than one attack during your action, you can force him to make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half your level + your Strength modifier). If this save fails, he moves one square away from you. You choose the square your opponent enters; however, he never enters a space that would inflict damage to him due to obvious environmental effects, such as a raging fire or a deep pit. The chosen square must land your foe farther away from you than he was when he started.[/sblock]
The above is all Open Game Content, Iron Heroes Revised Copyright 2007 Adam Windsor. All rights reserved.
If the above is a problem of any sort then I will modify as necessary.

Just blend in the ability of the Gunslinger to fire in melee, but only with a bayonetted rifle, and you've got a sweet bit of a bayonet combat system already hashed out. Sure, it borrows a lot from halberds and such but that's not a bad thing.
Note how EM 2 grants a very limited form of two-weapon fighting, with the benefit of being able to turn any polearm into a double weapon. That sort of specialization is what your system should emulate; moves that are reminiscent of other styles but that maximize the advantages of your actual weapon. Heck, you could allow someone to club or slash with one hand and shoot with the other, including a burst fire, which would just be nasty.

notjer

First Post
Which of the ideas are you sticking to? I think it would help people to tell them what you would like to be work out in visuals :)

Storyteller01

First Post
Largely working with the twf feats while working in close combat shooting. 2wd Simulations Masters of Arms has a nice system for crafting abilities, but I'll probably stick with the basics while I figure it out.

Remove ads